First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

FT500 Vintage racer

<< < (5/15) > >>

hellblom:
It would be awesome if you could send me the manual! I think you can send DMs through this site?

I will have a look at the links you attached, thanks again.

FT500R:
Got my new seat unit in the mail some days ago.
It was a bit too long for my taste so I shortened the seating area and cut off the 'flap' at the rear to flow a bit more with the curve of the side panels.

First picture is before cutting it up and the other 3 of the current size.

Will have to rework part of the seating area to fit the frame a bit better. I am also contemplating if I should extend the seat unit down to meet up with the framerails. The unit is nicely in line with the fold in the tank at the moment and that line could be visually broken if I do extend it down.
I also have to strengthen the unit so I can actually sit on it and come up with a solid way of mounting it all.

FT500R:
I strengthened the new glassfiber seat with some aluminium yesterday.
This will be bonded to the seat to provide some rigidety and enough strength to mount it to the bike properly.
I also made the upper mount for the CBR footpegs.
For the lower mount I use the FT footpeg upper mount.
I ground half of a large nut round, drilled a hole in the frame in the correct spot and wedged the nut in the hole.
The footpegs are where I want them and it already is very sturdy.
I will be welding it all the way around later.
A quick bend in the shifting mechanism solved any clearance issues with the frame.
Pretty happy with the result, ground clearance is better then with the original footpegs.
I do have to adjust the brake pedal a bit. It is too low (have to bend my foot very awkward to push it) and it is the first thing to hit the ground when tipping the bike over.
It has some adjustment so that will be an easy fix.
I also got a small entry level MIG/MAG welder so this will help with making the exhaust later.

FT500R:
Due to the CBR footpegs I have to reroute the exhaust.
I roughly eyeballed the route and bought some mandrel bends.
After some more eyeballing, some measuring and cutting I ended up with a rather nice linkpipe.

By shortening the original exhaust that was very rusty on that end anyway I can slide this linkpipe over and fit the exhaust quite nicely.
It is really close to the swingarm and rear master brake cylinder but it has enough clearance I think.

There is also enough wiggleroom to get it properly aligned when I start welding everything together.
Pretty happy with the result.

Have to get my welder working a bit better and then I can get another step further in the build.

murdo:
Nice work!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version