First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

FT500 Vintage racer

<< < (8/15) > >>

patrino:
Looking good - thanks for the update!

I reckon you'll like the cartridge emulators.  I'm a big fan - for the last ten years or so I've been running them (RaceTech's version) in all my vintage bikes.

You may already have figured this, but in case you need to adjust the emulators, a tool like this is helpful to grab them from the top of the damping rod:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/GrabEasy-24-in-Flexible-4-Claw-Pick-Up-Tool-Jewelry-Retriever-Clog-Remover-Drain-Snake-in-Chrome-PF0401/202505170

FT500R:
Thanks.
I indeed used a similar tool. Works like a charm and you don't have to drop the valves in or turn the forks upside down to get them out.

I just ordered new shocks and progressive fork springs so the whole suspension should be sorted.

FT500R:
Christmas was early this year (or Sinterklaas which we celebrate in the Netherlands).
Just got my Hagon shocks and fork springs.
I went to the importer of Hagon shocks here in the Netherlands to discuss which type would be best for my situation and instead of the more expensive adjustable 2810 series they actually recommended the 'standard' shocks as these have progressive damping.
This progressive damping various according to the sharpness of the shocks and with that would be more optimal than a set damping that will always dampen the same way.
I did get springs specifically for my own weight, the bike and the racing I will be doing with it.
Together with the progressive fork springs and the YSS PD-valves this should give a much improved ride.

Hope to install everything this weekend.

FT500R:
When racing I have to remove the side and center stand, which means that parking the bike is a bit difficult.
To make it a lot easier to prop the bike up I welded 2 long nuts on the rear swing arm to fit paddock stand bobbins.

The Hagon shocks I bought are a bit longer than the orignals (was recommended this by someone who races FT500s). The bike looks pretty sweet with the shocks installed.
I also made a muffler support from a strip of aluminium. Might add some speedholes in it to add lightness ;)

FT500R:
Fitted the hagon progressive fork springs today.
These replace the original spring, washer and spacer.
Problem was that I had shortened the spacer to make room for the PD-valves (about 20mm).
I can't just shorten the progressive springs so I fitted them as is, I do have quite a lot of spring pre-load now (about 37mm) but statically the forks feel great and not harsh at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version