First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

FT500 Vintage racer

<< < (11/15) > >>

murdo:
I share your grief about the sparkplug helicoil. I have successfully repaired them using a solid insert (timesert, nutsert, etc) with good results.

FT500R:
That's my plan to.
I'm looking into solid inserts that have small collar and thread in from the inside so it definitely won't come out when I remove the spark plug.

A bit more bad news today however. I don't know exactly what happened here but the piston is shot. The grooves in the cilinder wall are visible but I can't feel them. Hope to get them out after a hone and an one size over piston.
Starting to become a full engine overhaul  :-\

FT500R:
Ordered a new piston.
I am also looking at buying a new second hand crank. Unfortunately the small end of mine is a bit pitted too.

Will do the valve stem seals this weekend, hope that I do not encounter too many other broken bits as this 'engine fresh-up' is starting to look like a complete rebuild pretty fast..

hellblom:
Wow, how unfortunate! I hope you will overcome all your issues. I also ordered a new piston, a Wiseco 10,5:1, so a little more compression.

Olle

FT500R:
And the saga continues.
Cleaned up the inside of the head as much as possible and reground the valves.
The (inner) valve springs are out of spec so I have to start searching for new ones there. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
I've used a copper wire wheel on some parts of the engine and it gets the paint of reasonably well. Decided that I will go for that look for the complete engine apart from the cilinder and head. I will not be able to get into the cooling fins so will paint those parts black.
I am also struggling with the rockercover shaft dowel. I got 1 out using the 'yahoo' method with tapping a thread on it and using that to pull itself out. The other one stripped the newly made threads unfortunately. I then tried the 'haynes' method by grinding a slot and trying to tap it out but as you can see that only bend the dowel.
Any thoughts or tips on this?
I also checked all the headcover bolt holes and it looks like I have to helicoil almost all of them (already anticipated that) strangely enough 1 bolt was M8, 1 was M7 and the rest appears to be M6 (although some stripped). The M8 and M7 do not correspond to the expected M7 bolts though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version