First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Mikuni Carburetor Information Links

<< < (4/7) > >>

J6G1Z:
The elbow can be purchased separately.

Do you have a set of calipers that are indicated in inches & millimeters? Just measure the inside diameter of the carbs outlet towards the engine. Usually Mikuni carbs size is indicated in even numbers, instead of odd. Like 32mm, 34mm, 36mm, etc. Your seller probably has a 38mm Flat Slide. That seems to be about the most common size of Flat Slide out there. I have one myself that I'd like to use on my hybrid Ascot, but I think it's too big for a stock bike. On a street machine it's usually better to error on the small side vs. having a carb that is too large. A carb that is too big will give you lazy throttle response, or a bog. A smaller carb will have a higher air velocity through it & give you better throttle response. The Flat Slide carbs require a different jetting than the same size round slide carb.

Another carb option, is to find a carb off one of the modern 4-stroke single 450cc off-road bikes. A lot of the Honda XR owners are going this route. The modern carbs on these bikes have accelerator pumps & are very expensive carbs if bought new. They pop up on eBay fairly regular for a better price. You would be a pioneer & more or less be on your own trying to figure out this carb swap, as I've only heard of one guy using one on an Ascot so far. His engine is highly modified for Bonneville & has had a spigot mount welded to the head.

Be careful buying used. Sometimes it costs almost as much to swap out the internals of a used carb, as buying a new carb.

Have you checked out SUDCO yet? http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html   They have a lot of information.

Good luck & please let us know what you end up doing & how it works for you.
J.

J6G1Z:
Here is a picture of how one Ascot owner notched the frame to clear the straight throttle cable.

I would prefer to have a custom throttle cable made that has the 90 degree fitting on the end, so you don't have to notch the frame.

J.

AndreLindholm:
I ended up not buying it, so it's probably for the best. But thanks for the advise! Got some help tinkering with my stock carb today it seems to work better now so will try to keep the original and see if will work for awhile longer. 

J6G1Z:
The original carb is a great carb when it is freshened up & jetted correctly.

Here is a master rebuild kit: http://randakks.com/collections/honda-ft500-ascot-single/products/ft500-ascot-randakk-master-carb-overhaul-kit

Then change the low speed & main jet to a #58 & a #145. This seems to work for most FT Ascots.

J.

Lefty:
Good stuff in here, I just read through it and I'm thinking about replacing my stock carb with either a 36 or 38mm Mikuni unit- My top end also is starting to leak a little oil and I'm going to re-seal it, and was thinking while I'm in there why not upgrade the cam also. This will happen a little way down the road because of money issues, but I'm definitely going to do it- the mods I've done so far(jets, air filter mod, & full exhaust) really didn't increase the power like I expected they would, so I am taking things a bit farther.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version