Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Modified To Full Customs

Off To The Races - the build begins

<< < (4/11) > >>

J6G1Z:
The first generation Honda CBR Hurricane has 37mm upper fork tubes if I recall correctly. The complete front end also has the correct fork tube spacing to slide right up into the earlier single cylinder FT500 Ascots triple clamps. I do not know if the VT500FT & the FT500 share the same triple clamp spacing.

There are a few specialty companies that will press the original steering stem out of the lower triple clamp & press it into the new lower clamp if the diameters are the same. If the steering stem diameters are not the same, you will either need to turn it down or bush it up to fit the new lower triple clamp. Then you may need to bore out or bush up the top triple clamp. Most any "good" local machine shop should be able to perform these fairly simple machine operations. You need to approach them with cash & try to speak to the owner directly. Casually mention that you will pay in cash & do not require a receipt. Many times a shop owner will take on some small one off job for cash that he can put in his pocket.

Good luck
J.

Kettle One:
J, could you measure the distance between the triple clamps on your FT and let me know? If you measure from the top surface of your lower to the underside of your upper, then I can compare with the VT. Thanks!

J6G1Z:
The VT500FT sure has an elegant looking engine!

Do you have any plans in trying to remove the swingarm, or to swap a Shadow rear-end on to your project? The Shadow came with a 16" rear wheel & has a slightly higher gear ratio. Some guys swap the Shadow rear-end onto the Ascot with the 18" rear wheel to pick up some more top end speed & a better cruising speed.

You will need a special tool to remove the swingarm retention nut. It's a castellated nut & requires a special castellated socket to engage it to remove. Here is a post on that tool: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=140.0

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z:
Well I tried to take some accurate measurements off my FT500, but I had to eyeball it a bit due to parts of the bike being in the way.

The distance between the triple clamps from bottom to top varies depending upon where you take the measurement. Along the left upper fork leg looks to be about 6" & 5/8ths of an inch from the top of the lower triple clamp to the bottom of the upper clamp.

The distance between the forks inside to inside is approximately 5.725" on my "el cheapo" 6" digital caliper.

As I said... There was a bit of eyeballin' going on, so these may not be 100%. If you need any other measurements or pictures, just let me know & I'll see what I can do.

Good luck
J.

PS. How well does that Bike Lift work for you? How high does it lift the bike & do you recommend it? Been thinking of picking one up from Harbor Freight.

Kettle One:
J, many thanks for this info. It will be close enough I believe. I bought the lift from a friend of mine who upgraded to a Kendon. I find this one very useful. It will raise the bike about 2 feet when you have it under the motor. I also made a timber "platform" with wheel chock and I use the lift under that to get the whole bike up to a good working level. If you look closely at the pic you will see two arrows which are the guide marks to get the lift in the right place.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version