Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Modified To Full Customs

Custom VT500FT Ascot Pictures...

<< < (4/9) > >>

J6G1Z:
That's an extremely clean Ascot & looks real sharp with that color scheme!

Here's a couple more pics.

speedy:
Yes..the color scheme is in honor of the Elisinore CR250 bike.  And it does look great.  I'm not keen on the gold wheels so I may redo those.  Thanks.   
http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/asp/membersonly/museum/images/b96/HondaCR250_600.jpg

WmVIII:
Hey folks, new to the forum and thought I'd share.

Here's a few pics of my '84 VT500FTC "ShAscot", so named because I have swapped on to it numerous items from the VT500C Shadow.  I always liked the 'custom' aesthetic of the Shadow yet I vastly prefer the sportier tank/seat/pegs/bars arrangement and riding position of the Ascot. 

Shadow parts include front facia and gauges, dual outlet muffler, centre stand (required for compatibility with the dual muffler), driver and passenger foot pegs, and 16" rear wheel with Avon AM26 Roadrider tires (F&R), as well as differential (the C had higher gearing due to smaller diameter wheel) and matching silver rear brake housing. Plus I have replaced the headlight with a 7" round unit.  Very little customizing was required - most of the parts just bolted right on. Also installed is the optional Hondaline rack designed for the VT500FT.

Engine performance upgrades include Dynojet Stage 1 jet kit and dual Emgo reverse megaphone shorty mufflers re-packed with more substantial FMF 4-stroke glass matting.

Braking performance upgrades are limited to the front - EBC cross drilled brake rotor and HH sintered pads, with custom Galfer SS braided brake line.

Chassis performance upgrades include Progressive Suspension shocks and fork springs, and Pro Taper bars.  Aftermarket seat cover is by Travelcade.

I've added a 12V socket for my GPS, a throttle lock, and customized a new radiator shield from expanded steel sheet (painted black) which reduces some of the visual bulk of the original shroud.

Everything else is original, including paint!

Cheers,

Bill

J6G1Z:
Hey Bill, Welcome to the forum & great looking bike! I really like the exhaust. 8) How loud is it with the reverse megaphones? I have one of the black one piece EMGO reverse megs on my FT500 & it's a bit on the loud side.

Good luck
J.

WmVIII:
For about the first year after I installed the dual exhaust I had the oem Shadow mufflers on it, and they were loud enough to give the bike character but they had road rash on them and I wasn't overly committed to the slash-cut style.  Having seen pictures of the gorgeous cafe racer of Trinorman's that began this thread (standing ovation btw Chris!), I took inspiration in the look of the mufflers and was surprised to be able to source a set fairly easily. 

They come with very little fibreglass installed, and when I tried them initially it was very loud with a harsh popping edge to the note.  So I immediately re-glassed them with FMF 4-stroke fibreglass wool mat, and that made a tremendous difference to the sound - dropped the decibels to a more reasonable level, but also mellowed the note. Now, probably 2,000km later, they've mellowed even further and sound amazing.  I've received no complaints from neighbours or the law so far so I think I'll be ok with these unless our town starts cracking down on aftermarket mufflers.  I've kept the oem's such as they are just in case.

Cheers,

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version