First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Dyno tuning

<< < (3/8) > >>

scottly:
I didn't notice a vent hole in the slide, and I gave it a fair amount of attention...

J6G1Z:
You would most likely notice & remember if the slide had the small vent hole in the end. I wonder if drilling a slide vent might be something you need to enhance the throttle response.

Here is a link to the DynoJet "Tech Support" page: http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/contact_support.aspx

You might consider giving them a phone call & seeing if they have any information that you can learn from. I had to call their Tech Dept. with a question that I had & they were very helpful.

I just don't know very much about how these CV type of carbs work.

Please keep up the good work & documentation. I'm very interested in following your progress.
J.

scottly:
Time to update this thread! I found a PDF of the manual for the XL 500, and it has the same air cut valve, even though it doesn't have a CV type carb; once again, don't mess with it. ;)
These last two runs were with the 58 idle and 185 main. I should add that little gain in HP was recorded after going larger than 167, but there was a slight increase in torque, and more importantly, a much better throttle response. My dealer has been very kind, allowing me to swap jets after I bought two each of idle and mains, but after a point I started just drilling the original main, as it was easier than a trip to town. I'll probably trade one of the new mains for a 190, but I'm in no rush.  ;D

J6G1Z:
Here is a bigger picture of the Dyno graph.

J.

J6G1Z:
So if I understand correctly, you have uncovered 5 horsepower with just jetting changes? That's great! Keep up the good work.

How about some pics of your bike, modifications & exhaust pipe. Have you tried the ThumperStuff header yet?

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version