Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

VT500FT Ascot Gear Change & Performance...

<< < (3/4) > >>

Trinorman:
Hello Nev,

Just catching up and saw your post re changing the rear drive ratio.  I bought a whole rear drive from a VT500C Shadow on Ebay for about $30.  They seem to come up frequently (at least when I was looking).  The trick is to find a good one.  I just looked at the photos, description, and hoped for the best.  Fortunately I got a good one.  You will need the whole rear drive that bolts up to the swing arm.  No other modification is necessary.  If you try it, I think you will like the change.

Hondapartsman,

Thanks for your comments.  Hope you get to your project one day!

Chris

cdntfindanAscot:
Cheers Chris :)

J6G1Z:
Hey Chris,

Thanks for dropping by & clarifying that information.

How much difference did you notice by swapping to the Shadow rear-end?

Does your Ascot still have plenty of off the line acceleration?

Do you recall what RPM range you're running at while cruising at a steady 80mph?

Thank you
J.

WmVIII:
Hi J,

I actually worked up a spreadsheet a while ago to calculate all of this, below are the highlights.  Before I get to that, my 'seat of the pants' accelerometer suggests you won't begrudge the switch to higher gearing as its still got a good bit of snap to it. Unless you're drag racing it (and why would you) anything you lose on the launch you're going to make up for by going faster in a lower gear.  FWIW - I'm so used to it now that the stock Ascot feels almost ridiculously low-geared anymore. 

The Ascot has a final drive ratio of 3.35 with a rear wheel diameter of 26.6"
The Shadow has a final drive ratio of 2.94 with a rear wheel diameter of 25.4"

Stock, the Ascot revs ~5,800 at 80mph, with the Shadow's 2.94 hub it brings revs down to ~5,100.

Switching this around, calculated speeds at 5,100 rpm are as follows:

Stock Ascot = 70.51 mph
Stock Shadow = 76.72 mph
Ascot wheel with Shadow hub = 80.34 mph

(and just to be silly - say you wanted the best setup for burnouts & wheelies  :-\)
Shadow wheel with Ascot hub = 67.33 mph

Cheers,

Bill

J6G1Z:
Bill,

Thank you for that info. That makes it look like a worthy gain. I might have to start looking for a Shadow rear-end.

J.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version