First Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Mikuni carb swap

(1/2) > >>

scottly:
The 36mm Mikuni has a 1.7" OD spigot on the engine side, while the FT carb has a 1.84" OD. I machined an adapter to mate the Mikuni to the FT rubber manifold with a short piece of radiator hose. The adapter moved the carb back about .4", which allowed for a gentle bend under the gas tank for the throttle cable. For testing purposes, I robbed the throttle and cable off my CR480.

scottly:
The Mikuni has a larger OD on the air-cleaner side than the FT carb, so a new hose to connect the carb to the air-cleaner was needed. I found an air intake hose on a Ford pickup at the local junkyard for $4, and cut a section with the needed bend out of it. It was a bit of a stretch getting it onto the carb, but fit easily onto the air-cleaner that was supplied with the White Bros XR kit.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk:
Good stuff, be interested to hear how it responds when your done. I'll fit a 39mm FCR this week time allowing

thumperdh:
Sweet, always wanted to do this but I could never justify it on my mostly stock motor.

scottly:
I rode the bike around town a little, and so far it runs fine, except for a slight hesitation while maintaining a steady speed at low throttle openings. It feels lean, possibly due to the needle clip in the highest groove? The lack of an accelerator pump isn't an issue; I had the bike lugging in 4th gear at about 30 MPH and snapped the throttle open and it just thumped right along. The choke lever is hard to reach when sitting on the bike, but no choke was needed with the outside temperature at 88 degrees.
Wrk, what is an FCR?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version