Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

Leaky gas tank! Replace or renew? That is the question...

<< < (3/3)

murdo:
I've had very good results with KBS tank sealers if you find that you need to seal it at some point in the future. Use paint stripper to dissolve the previous liner (may take a week or more) and finally wash and rinse with acetone or similar. I have never seen any products applied from the outside that totally seals the tank, works for a bit then starts to weep again (this is what was on my FT500 when I bought it).
Another option is to tin and then solder the bottom of the tank. Put a slight dent in the area to be soldered so you can build up the solder then file it flat before painting.

chuckleberry709:
Thanks for the info on the sealer murdo (hope that's not short for murderer)!  ;) The stuff I used on the outside was just like metal when it set up, and I let the tank sit with gas in it for a week and no leaks so hopefully this is a fix. I'm almost ready for primer, just a bit more sanding. I'll post something when I get more progress.  8)

CB

joyride20:

--- Quote from: chuckleberry709 on January 18, 2017, 02:44:47 pm ---Thanks for the info on the sealer murdo (hope that's not short for murderer)!  ;) The stuff I used on the outside was just like metal when it set up, and I let the tank sit with gas in it for a week and no leaks so hopefully this is a fix. I'm almost ready for primer, just a bit more sanding. I'll post something when I get more progress.  8)

CB

--- End quote ---

How did the tank turn out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version