First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

My FT500/CBR600 Hybrid Project...

<< < (4/8) > >>

J6G1Z:
...And here are the newly modified foot-pegs finally mounted up after painting.

That's about it for now.

Thanks
J.

thumperdh:
Couple of questions/requests.

1. How hard were those KTM footpegs to mount to the FT?

2. Can you provide a few more detailed shots of the modifications you did to the tail section of the bike?

3. Any way we can get a sound clip of that Emgo pipe?

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: thumperdh on December 04, 2013, 10:52:33 pm --- Couple of questions/requests.

1. How hard were those KTM footpegs to mount to the FT?

2. Can you provide a few more detailed shots of the modifications you did to the tail section of the bike?

3. Any way we can get a sound clip of that Emgo pipe?
--- End quote ---

1. The KTM pegs were welded onto the original pegs. I disassembled the original pegs unti I was down to the round steel peg part. That was cut until it was about 1.5" long, or just long enough to pivot up & down while leaving enough to stick out to weld to. The KTM pegs had a square mounting stub sticking out that we cut off & then set the peg up as high on the Ascot stub as possible & welded them together. You can use pretty much any dirt bike foot-peg. I just liked how big the KTM pegs were & they were cheap on eBay. I think that they were from a KTM380 if I recall correctly.

2. I didn't really do any modifications to the back end or tail section. I removed the end portion of the fender that also houses the tail light & turn signals. I then took some 1" steel strap that I bought from Home Depot & fashioned a flat U shaped extension that bolted to the end of the upper frame rails & extended back to the the end of the OEM Ascot tail piece. I then drilled two mounting holes on each end to bolt to the frame & two holes at the back to mount the LED lighted license plate frame. I'd post a picture of it, but it's at the powder coaters right now. I made a mistake when drilling the mounting to the frame holes. I should have tipped the bracket up at an angle, as it is somewhat visible from the side view.

3. I don't have the computer skills/technology to make & host a sound recording. I doubt that a microphone would like the volume level. Do yourself a favor & spend the extra $'s for the 2-piece megaphone if you plan to ride the bike on the street in public. I will most likely be replacing mine sometime on down the road.

Hope that helps
J.

J6G1Z:
Well I figured I'm long past due on an update... The Christmas season has put a real damper on progress & the buying of additional parts. I removed the wheels & stripped them of the disks, sprocket & bearings. Then I had them media blasted & powder coated an Aluminum color followed by a 20% gloss clear coat. They turned out pretty nice. I probably should have spent some time smoothing them out with some light grinding & sanding. There are a couple of small dings & scratches here & there. Didn't really know they were even there until the wheels were done. Oh well, I'll know better next time. I picked up a complete set of All Balls wheel bearings off of eBay, along with a pair of Avon Roadrider tires from Amazon.com. I'll be running a 110/70/17 on the front & a 130/70/17 on the rear. My 520 sprockets & chain conversion finally showed up, but unfortunately they sent me a 17 tooth countershaft instead of the 16 tooth that I originally ordered. I went with a smaller 39 tooth rear sprocket, so I'm not real happy with the 17 tooth front sprocket. I am now waiting for the 16 tooth sprocket to arrive. The new 520 chain & sprockets look real nice! The chain is black with nickel plated side plates. It should look real nice on the bike. I plan to weigh the OEM chain & sprockets to compare with the weight of the 520 components. I can tell already that there is quite a bit of difference. I picked up an inexpensive digital thickness gauge from Harbor Freight to measure the wear on the brake disks to see if they were still within spec. The front disks have a minimum thickness of 3.5mm stamped onto the face of the disk. I have one that measured in the 3.9mm range & one that measures in the 3.7mm range. Still within spec, but not by much on one of them. The rear disk is stamped with the minimum thickness spec of 4mm & unfortunately measures in at the 3.5mm range, so it needs to be replaced. I'm not real happy that I have to buy at least one new disk & should probably replace all three. Just more money, right. ::) :'( I am glad that I checked it out though. I thought that all 3 disks looked good enough to use & they're still smooth when you drag a finger nail across the face. Oh well, I'd rather wait a bit longer & do it up right. So to recap... I'm almost ready for the final assembly, except for replacing the brake disks, plus mounting the tires & having them balanced. I'm also waiting for my new countershaft sprocket & I think that's about it. Time & money, that's all it takes, time & money. Below is a few pics of the freshly powder coated wheels & the new 520 chainset from Sidewinder.

Thanks
J.

DonDDR:
Cool build J. About the rear wheel. I have a F2 rear, its 4.5 inches wide. Will that go in the FT swing arm? What tire size are you using?

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version