First Generation Ascots > The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs

My FT500/CBR600 Hybrid Project...

<< < (5/8) > >>

thumperdh:

--- Quote from: DonDDR on February 02, 2014, 06:39:04 pm ---Cool build J. About the rear wheel. I have a F2 rear, its 4.5 inches wide. Will that go in the FT swing arm? What tire size are you using?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

4.5" rear should slide right in to the FT swingarm.

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: DonDDR on February 02, 2014, 06:39:04 pm ---Cool build J. About the rear wheel. I have a F2 rear, its 4.5 inches wide. Will that go in the FT swing arm? What tire size are you using?

Thanks
--- End quote ---

Thanks.

I don't know if the 4.5" wide rear tire will fit or not. I'm leaning towards the maybe not. Do you have the original spacers & brake caliper bracket? I can measure the Ascot swingarm width tomorrow if you'd like.

My rear wheel is the first generation CBR Hurricane wheel & is only 3.5" wide. I went with the original OEM recommended size tire for the '89 Hurricane which is a 130 wide. I didn't want a real wide tire on either end as it's just not needed & would slow down the cornering response.

I finally located some replacement brake disks that had more meat on them than the ones that I had. Now I can clean up the disks & begin assembling the wheels. I never thought that it would take me this long, but money is tight & parts are hard to find sometimes.

Good luck
J.

DonDDR:
I have the wheel but not the spacers and such at the moment. Want to use F2 forks/wheel on the front and rear. Im not against using a Hurricane, but I have the F2 "in stock" now. And  thanks to the guys that race SV650's, good 160 race rubber is now available again. Same rear tire size on my F2 track bike.

J6G1Z:
When I first mocked up my bike with the Hurricane suspension & wheels, my rear wheel had a 160 wide Harley Davidson tire on it. It would not fit into the swingarm without the tire hitting towards the front right side of the swingarm. I had to cock the axle to the left to make it fit so I could roll it around. I think I've heard that the red race FT500 in the pics in that other thread wears a 150 on the back.

You might be able to fit the rear wheel by narrowing the original spacer on the left & the brake caliper mounting bracket on the right. Just need to keep an eye on sprocket alignment. I've also heard of some wheel swaps having the cush drive machined down some to narrow up the center section. Then you have to be careful that the chain doesn't hit the tire.

The reason that I used the Hurricane front & rear is that it was a complete bolt in affair. The parts slid right in like they were designed for the bike. The only thing that I had to do, was to fabricate a very simple rear brake caliper stay that runs from the caliper down to the swingarm mount.

Good luck
J.

DonDDR:
Bolt in is good. I am going to use the bike for flattrack so tire width is not a big deal. I just happen to have a F2 4.5 in the garage. From what the guys that road raced the bikes back in the day the XR/XL swing arm is a bolt in (dunno abot the shock mounts tho) due to the FT frame based off the 81 XL500.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version