Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

Potential VT500 purchase (Oh, who am I kidding....it's probably a done deal)

<< < (2/3) > >>

Bucko:
No hydraulic valves.  Cam followers with tappet screw adjuster.

scott s:
 Ah....read this article. I guess it's wrong. I found a couple more  that DON'T mention the hydraulic adjusters.

http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/1984-honda-ascot-vt500

Bucko:
Yes, the article is wrong.  I just did my annual valve adjustment yesterday.

PS: Biggest pain in the ass ever: - when you take out the spark plugs under the rubber grommets (one of the two in each cylinder) make sure your spark plug socket has a good condition plug keeper in it - i.e. so the plug doesn't fall out of the socket when you pull it out.  It happened to me yesterday - the rubber keeper in my socket wouldn't 'keep' - the plug fell out and it was a royal pain in the ass to get it out as it wedged itself sideways in the spark plug cavity under that rubber grommet.

scott s:
 I just did a valve adjustment and carb R&R on an '85 VF500 Interceptor. It can't be as bad as that!
 I had new rubber intake manifolds for the VF. Are the VT manifolds pretty good at being reusable a few times?

Bucko:
I don't know about the VF500 as I've never worked on one.  But on the VT500 motor, there's a big bulbous cavity under the spark plug rubber boot - enough of a cavity so that a spark plug can lay completely sideways in the cavity even though the opening to access the plus is only a bit larger that the spark plug socket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version