Second Generation Ascots > The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified

1984 Ascot mild project

<< < (3/7) > >>

scott s:
Found these bars at the local Mom 'n' Pop motorcycle shop. NOS Honda CRF230F bars for only $35. I had to finagle them a bit because of the non-detachable cross bar, but they work. It's amazing what a simple bar change can do!
 The controls aren't fully tightened down yet. I'll do that once I have the seat on.

Bucko:

--- Quote from: scott s on June 23, 2017, 06:48:47 pm ---......and had a stainless hose made at a local hydraulics shop. Only $24!
--- End quote ---

Scott:  How long is your new brake hose?  Is it the same lenght as the original?  How long is the original? 

The hose on my Ascot needs to be replaced but it's not original and too long so I can't used that as a guide for replacement length.

scott s:

--- Quote from: Bucko on June 27, 2017, 05:29:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: scott s on June 23, 2017, 06:48:47 pm ---......and had a stainless hose made at a local hydraulics shop. Only $24!
--- End quote ---

Scott:  How long is you new brake hose?  Is it the same lenght as the original?  How long is the original? 

The hose on my Ascot needs to be replaced but it's not original and too long so I can't used that as a guide for replacement length.

--- End quote ---

Overall length is 46", and that includes the banjos, tip to tip. I got held up on the brake job as the replacement  caliper was stuck solid. Heat, penetrating fluid, even 150 PSI of air and it wouldn't budge.
 I got a full refund and have another on the way. I also picked up a drilled rotor.

scott s:
 Oh, and I no longer have the stock hose, but that's what I used to have the new one made, so I guess it's still stock length.

Bucko:
Thanks for the measurement Scott.

Stuck calipers on this vintage of bike are pretty common.  Using air pressure to pop them out can be dangerous.  Better option is to use the hydraulic pressure of the brake system to pump them out.  Or if that's not an option, thread a grease nipple into the bleed valve, plug the hose inlet with a bolt, and pump the pistons out using a low pressure grease gun.   Either way you have to use use something (like a thin block of wood) wedged in the caliper gap to prevent one piston from popping out before both pistons are moving. I've read that boiling the caliper in water for a few minutes can help free things up but I haven't tried that myself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version