Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
21
The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified / Re: A new Ascoteer
« Last post by J6G1Z on November 06, 2017, 06:25:19 PM »
I've heard other riders say that about the rear brakes before.

I use both together or independently as required for whatever situation.

Grew up on a dirt/desert bike long before I ever road a street bike.

J.
22
The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs / Re: Dutch FT project
« Last post by J6G1Z on November 06, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
I was fixated on the size of the headlight & the spotless "Shop".

Didn't even notice the bars were missing.  :-[

J.
23
The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs / Re: Dutch FT project
« Last post by kansloos161 on November 06, 2017, 12:38:13 PM »
Hahaha yep.
Have to make due with the room that I have.

Bike looks a lot better with handlebars mounted.


Funny how much difference that makes.
24
The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified / Re: A new Ascoteer
« Last post by Wes Kootenay on November 06, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
Might consider replacing the brake hoses with braided stainless steel lines.

J.

Good point - it's on the list, the hoses appear to be originals.
I don't want to open a 'can of worms' but, after over fifty years of riding, I find that I rarely use the rear brake.

Thanks.

Al
25
The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs / Re: Dutch FT project
« Last post by J6G1Z on November 06, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
That is a nice looking "Shop" you have there!


J.
26
The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs / Re: Dutch FT project
« Last post by kansloos161 on November 06, 2017, 04:31:17 AM »
I did a mock-up before and due to the shorter front forks but longer rear shocks it works out. (as you can see later in this post)
Because it is build-up time!

Although I live on the 3rd floor I've started to assemble the bike (in my livingroom). This helps me to determine what I still need to do/order.

steering stem with new dust seals (already had the tapered bearings):

Complete tripple tree assembled including my new dashboard

Rear swing arm mounted.

Engine in.

Mock-up without wheels

And this is how she sits in the living room now.



It looks far more complete than it actually is.
I still need to do the complete wiring loom and make all the spacers for the front brakes and rear wheel.
Most of the stuff that I assembled now probably has to come of the bike a couple of times but I'm very pleased with the (intermediate) result
27
The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified / Re: A new Ascoteer
« Last post by J6G1Z on November 05, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »
Might consider replacing the brake hoses with braided stainless steel lines.

J.
28
The V-Twin Years: Stock To Lightly Modified / Re: A new Ascoteer
« Last post by Wes Kootenay on November 05, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
Sitting here looking at fresh snow, Spring seems a long way off  :'(

I have the front brake caliper apart to free up the stuck pistons (got lucky here), flush the fluid and replace the pads.
Studying my new manual and making a list of stuff to check.

My wife has approved the blue color, so I'll keep it for now. New tank and side panel decals arrived this week, a new seat-cover is on the way.

Al.
29
The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs / Re: Dutch FT project
« Last post by J6G1Z on November 03, 2017, 07:56:57 AM »
Way to keep at it.

By any chance have you mocked up the final ride height & kick-stand length? I had to shorten my kick-stand so the bike wouldn't tip over to the opposite side.

J.
30
The Thumper Years: Modified To Full Customs / Re: Dutch FT project
« Last post by kansloos161 on November 02, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
It has been a while but I've been able to do some work on the bike :D

I wasn't really satisfied with the way my welds looked so I decided to try a special Bondo that is heat resistant.

I've bondo-ed the parts between the underside and the frameloop and between the batterybox and the framerails



I altered the original footrest holders to accept modern footrests


I managed to source the rear brake and mounting plate of a BMW funduro (I already had the complete rear wheel). I was able to install all this without to much alteration.


I also made a bracket for my cockpit but I don't have a good picture of it.

The oversized headlight I have was painted (rat)black by a previous owner. I used some steel wool to clean it up and I have to admit it looks pretty good. I'm actually contemplating to keep it bare metal (put some clearcoat on it though)



I had my frame and some loose parts coated.
Unfortunately something that I already anticipated actually happened. The underside curled up due to the heat and seperated from the frameloop.
I'm probably going to put some black kit or something in between to make sure no moisture can get in between.

The normal camera on my phone died so I had to take all these pictures with my crappy selfie camera so the pictures do not do the coated parts justice. In real life it looks better!





The parts that I bondo-ed (looks rough in the picture is actually very smooth and looks better than expected)


The rear part that unfortunately seperated a bit.


Time to start the rebuild!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10