Author Topic: Going to look at this $550 CL bike tomorrow,Any thoughts?  (Read 14603 times)

Joshcb7

Going to look at this $550 CL bike tomorrow,Any thoughts?
« on: September 08, 2018, 05:49:51 pm »
https://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/d/honda-ft-500/6673145312.html

1st question will this bike stay running after being pop started?The guy asked if I had a truck which makes me think it wont stay running very long.
I would assume a bad starter and the bike will run fine once pop started but bad charging system and it wont start or stay running?

I have been doing some research and the starters seem to be the issue on these bikes?I have always rode dirt 01 cr250 and just sold my 99xt225.Got a motorcycle license and im ok with tools so think I could fix this bike up.1 thing that stands out to me is the aftermarket blinkers,Could that be where the charging systems issues came from?I will know more when I get there and see what it does.If it just clicks,or if there no power anywhere.I dont plan on paying $550 more like @200-$250 I am fine with pop starting it for the next couple months and fixing it over the winter but dont want to get into this bike if you ascot owners think its been hacked at too much.TIA

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Going to look at this $550 CL bike tomorrow,Any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 08:39:58 pm »
How many miles on the bike?

May just need a REAL battery. Those cheap Chinese lead/acid batteries are junk. Buy a quality USA made sealed AGM battery.

Good luck.
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:59:38 am »

1st question will this bike stay running after being pop started?The guy asked if I had a truck which makes me think it wont stay running very long.
I would assume a bad starter and the bike will run fine once pop started but bad charging system and it wont start or stay running?

The Ascot's ignition system is separate from the starting/charging system. You don't even need a battery to bump start it; it's a self-energizing system, similar to a magneto. ;D 

Joshcb7

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:15:04 am »
28k miles

OK so it should stay running unless it's the charging system.
I know on my VW R32 the alternator went and I would jump it, the car would run for a mile or 2 and then die .I repeated that to make it home.I hope that's not the case here and i test drive it but long term it won't stay running.
I have read most of the post on here about starting issues and hope it's the starter control unit or something.  I think if I can fix it without buying a starter I'm in good shape. Should I be worried about the aftermarket lights?

Thanks guys I'll update later after I check it out

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:14:14 am »
Probably shouldn't attempt to jump start a motorcycle with an automotive battery. To much amperage.

J.