Author Topic: Wire Wheel conversions  (Read 300 times)

triguyracer

Wire Wheel conversions
« on: September 28, 2019, 03:50:45 pm »
Would like to hear from anyone who has done a wire wheel conversion . ? I Have aguired a front wheel from a 76 77 Honda Goldwing which used a nice alloy one, has a 15 mm axel size so it a straight forward swap on the front ,difference is it uses a 5 bolt disk and I will have to find one with the right offset and diameter and make spacers I plan on using Vapor Tech for the speedo and such, Now with that said I am looking for a rear wire wheel that has a cush drive that might work. If you have done this conversion Also I have already done a 520 chain conversion on the stock rear wheel. I would like to know what you used ? Hoping to get it done over the winter

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Wire Wheel conversions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 05:15:18 pm »
I've only seen a few spoked wheel conversions.
Here is one: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=28.0

I don't think there is an "easy" way to go about it. I think I would look at Honda XR & XL bikes. Finding a spoked hub with a cush-drive that will work for your swap is the trick.

J.

triguyracer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 06:43:35 pm »
Thanks have been following his post on his front end and wire wheel conversion for some time now. XR or XL one I think I could make work but would like to stick with a disk on the back even though I rarely use it .I am considering using a Barnes hub and wheel like I use on my dirt track bikes but they do not have a cush unit in the hub, My FT seems pretty smooth for a single cylinder bike so I might give that a go with a Barnes hub ,that would be very straight forward and simple but costs a lot lol , so for the time being I will keep my eyes and ears open for something that will cost less and work. I know there is one that works with not to much machine work out there just need to find it. In the mean time I will work on the front one. 

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 09:10:44 pm »
Perhaps some of the modern large dual sport adventure bikes might provide a spoked cush-drive hub with a disc mount.