Author Topic: For sale - 1982 Ascot with lots of goodies  (Read 15601 times)

patrino

For sale - 1982 Ascot with lots of goodies
« on: March 10, 2020, 01:31:19 pm »
Folks, sorry to say but I'm getting out of Ascots (for now!).

Bike is currently for sale as a project:  https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-1982-honda-ft500-ascot-project/7089686369.html

Trying to track down the two starter gears I need (see http://ascot500.com/index.php/topic,1068.0.html ... any help appreciated).  If I can get my hands on them I'll get the starter back up and sell it as a "motorcycle" instead of a "project motorcycle".

Bike was running great until the starter gears broke a few weeks ago. 

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
Re: For sale - 1982 Ascot with lots of goodies
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 12:09:29 am »
Patrick, would you be willing to sell the rear shocks seperatly?
Scott

patrino

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 02:03:47 pm »
Not quite ready to part it out.  Heading to one of my local shops tomorrow to try to find the starter gears I need.  Will keep folks updated.

triguyracer

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 12:31:18 pm »
I have a pair of extra rear shocks ,they are missing the rubbers for the eyelets but other than that seem to be good ,could use the springs and bodys a repaint,no pitting on the shafts and no leaks  35 dollars will buy them and whatever it costs to ship, can send a pic to your phone if you PM a number

patrino

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 06:08:25 pm »
Got my hands on some spare starter gears (BIG thanks to Joe P. at Vicious Cycle in Portland) so pulled the CL ad and am going to try to get the bike back up and running.  I won't get that much more out of her, but a running bike's better than a non-running "project".

Will keep folks posted here.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 02:43:01 am »
I have a pair of extra rear shocks ,they are missing the rubbers for the eyelets but other than that seem to be good ,could use the springs and bodys a repaint,no pitting on the shafts and no leaks  35 dollars will buy them and whatever it costs to ship, can send a pic to your phone if you PM a number
Was this addressed towards me, triguy? I have stock shocks, but was scheming on Patrick's aftermarket shocks. ;D I figured that he would get more for the shocks separately than with the bike..
Patrick, that's amazing you found the starter gears!!!

triguyracer

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 04:08:56 pm »
Yes lol , I can understand your wanting to up grade to better shocks

patrino

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:51:35 pm »
Well, starter is back up and running (and sounds good), now no spark! 

I printed out the "no spark" thread on this forum, and will start working through it.

patrino

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:46:42 pm »
Spark's back ... troubleshot all the components, found no signal coming from the pickup coil on the RH side of the engine.  Pulled the cover, found that the nut holding on the ignition trigger collar had backed off.  The trigger collar was no longer engaged with the locating pin on the crank end, so while the crank was spinning when I thumbed the starter, the trigger flag on the collar wasn't passing the pickup to send a "spark!" signal
 So I Reassembled, torqued the nut, and viola! spark!

I'm going to chalk this up under WTF and move on.  I've put 10,000+ flawless miles on this bike over the last couple years, and right after I clean up the bike and take the craigslist photos, the nut mysteriously backs off.  Maybe she's not ready to go!

patrino

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 11:35:58 pm »
Bike's up, starts and runs well, back on Craigslist, in case anyone's interested:  https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/d/portland-1982-honda-ft500-ascot/7119399351.html

murdo

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 04:37:46 am »
Looks great and with all you've done to it is great value. Pity you are on the other side of the world or I would be round with cash. Good luck with the sale.