Author Topic: Flat track racer project  (Read 13483 times)

Mxr1119

Flat track racer project
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:06 pm »
Stripping down a bike I just bought to be a flat track racer which wires can be cut off without any problems? And which ones do I absolutely need to keep? There will not be any lights, blinkers, speedo, anything, just starter and rectifier will be kept. Any help would be great thank you. If you need parts I probably have it
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 03:45:53 pm by Mxr1119 »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Flat track racer project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:01:52 am »
Welcome Mxr1119,

Sounds like a fun project. Do you have a Honda Service Manual? If not then you should pick one up. Ebay will probably be your best bet. I was looking for an FT500 wiring diagram online, but struck out. The Ascot has a dual electrical system, so what you want to do is possible. You just need to learn & verify which wires are what. Of course you could just disconnect & remove all the lights & guages, etc. & tape off the remaining wires at the connectors & then hide them on the backside of the frame tubes. Meanwhile check out the PDF link below & I'll see if I can't find some more info or links for you to check out.

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:17:46 am by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:16:11 am »
Here is a link to some wiring diagrams for the FT500.
http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/files/Wiring%20Diagrams%20for%20FT500
Sometimes these links won't open correctly unless you right click on them & then select "Open" from the drop down menu.

I can't recall anyone converting their Ascot to strictly a dirt bike so I cannot answer your question any better than just providing the info that I've found so far. If I hear or find anything more, I will post it up for you.

Good luck
J.

PS. Please consider doing a complete bike build post. Everyone enjoys following along other peoples bike builds. Plus it motivates the other guys & gals that are working on their bikes.

Bookinbrock

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 08:10:24 pm »
Hello, that is my son that posted above. And would like to add some more information.
So he is a teenager who bought this bike in NorCal from an old man who stored it in his kitchen for 12 years. He must of been single... Anywho he paid 200 for it  brought it home in hopes to put it on the flat track for experience before going to the more competitive open classes. My directions were to pull off all lights and crap like that. After working out of town I come home to find the once complete bike stripped to the frame and all wires cut.damn
He got a manual and I have most put back together. There just seems to be a few wires with no landings.
For example large red with power..
Red/green
Pair of blacks
Ect.ect
We have seen a few of these on the net that have been torn down but no address of the builders.
Our local bike shop said don't waste your time . So F them.
HELP
We have a couple of months to complete so any help would help

Thanks for putting up with us
Brock

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:18:43 am »
Welcome to the board Brock & Son, Here is a link to the only wiring diagram & electrical information that I've been able to find on the I'net. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=126.0

I think that should cover most of your bases. It's too bad someone just started cutting, instead of tracing the wires back to the connectors. Usually Honda is real good about terminating the wires with various types of quick disconnectors. The major connections are usually stashed inside the headlight bucket.

Try the link that I posted & see if that doesn't help some. If you have any more questions, please feel free to fire away. I'd like to see your project if you guys have the time & means of taking pictures. I can help you get them posted on the board if you don't know how.

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 09:39:42 am »
From a quick glance it looks like...

Large Red wire should run from ignition switch to fuseable link hidden on the side of the starter relay & to starter.

Green/Red looks like the Clutch & Starter interlock.

Black looks like a common wire that runs to most all the lights & maybe a ground. (I've also found Green as a Ground on my bike)

There are a few Black combination wires like Black/Brown, Black/White, etc, so you will have to look real close at the black wires to make sure that they are indeed black, or if they have a stripe.

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:51:05 am by J6G1Z »

Bookinbrock

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:54:57 am »
Small update,
 Low and behold the beast runs!!!  Now our problem is the hole were the starter bendex is located.
It is completely worn out and allows the rotating clutch to burry it self against side cover. We will have to have this welded and redrilled for now I have back filled with JB weld but no this is not permanent.
This is a great relief as we were considering finding another project but now I'm all in.
We have some before pictures and some crazy frame only shots and will post once I figure out how maybe just send them to you to upload.
 The boy wants to gut the exhaust pipe so he can hear the bike in race traffic. Anybody herd one gutted or should we get a aftermarket (too spendy)our decibel limit is 104 at 24 inches .
 More updates soon
Brock and Blake

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:26:02 am »
Great news! It's always good to hear them fire up.

As for the pictures... Look at the bottom of the forum to the "Testing Board" that's where you can experiment with posting pics. There is a write up on how to do it using the forums software. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=2.0
The most difficult part of posting pictures is to make sure that they are sized properly. They need to be no larger than 128KB & 800 wide. That size fits the pages the best.

You could also just e-mail them to me at: John at Ascot500 dot Com and I will post them up for you.

As for an exhaust system... Mark at Thumper Stuff had some exhaust systems bent up much like the old White Brothers pipe. Unfortunately the manufacturer that bent up the tubing mounted the head-pipe mounting flanges too far away from the end of the tubing. So the tubing needs to be shortened or longer exhaust studs need to be used. http://www.thumperstuff.com/FT500.html#exhaust
I've been after him for a few months to fix one or two to sell to me, but so far he's been busy with other aspects of his business. If more Ascot owners were to call him & show interest in purchasing some pipes, I think we could get some done.

There is a napkin drawing of the HRC Ascot race pipe in the Technical Section if you are talented enough to fabricate your own.
http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=4.0

Of course you could always just remove the OEM muffler & install an EMGO reverse megaphone like I did on my FT500/CBR600 Hybrid. http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/1-s-2.htm  It bolts right up with just some light modification of the muffler hanging strap. This is barely a muffler & is probably too loud for a street bike. There are some with a removable end cap that are repackable & sound much quieter, but they are chrome finished. http://www.speedmotoco.com/category-s/58.htm

That's about all I know for an FT500 performance pipe. The pipe from Thumper Stuff would be the best option, or fabricating one like the HRC pipe. The OEM head pipe is double wall construction & the inner tubing will eventually break loose & start rattling around.

Good luck & please let us know what you end up doing.
J.