Author Topic: Ignition Coils - DynaTek  (Read 17983 times)

jr

Ignition Coils - DynaTek
« on: November 29, 2013, 04:55:41 pm »
Im new to the list and would like to know if anyone has any experience replacing the stock ignition coils with Dynatek coils.  I'm looking at the Dynatec DC4-1, which are about half price of the OEM coils from honda (discounted even).
My 1984 VT500 with 30K miles starts and runs great. It has trouble starting when it is hot. After sitting 5 minutes it fires right up. Other posts/threads out there say this common problem is caused by the ignition coils getting "old", everything else on the bike is 100% stock and it runs great in every aspect - save for this annoying problem. I'm loathe to change out the coils when they appear to be working fine, but I've tried everything else it might be.
Thanks-  Julian.

Bucko

Re: Ignition Coils - DynaTek
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:07:47 pm »
I did a lot of looking into this a while back.  I too was having what I thought was coil problems but the symptoms weren't the same as the classic hot coil problem.  I never did figure out exactly what the problem was but I suspect it was a dirty igniter connector(s) because when I swapped in a new wiring harness, the problem disappeared.  In any case I think that other folks have successfully used the Dynatek coils - sorry I don't remember the model but the grey ones have the right resistance (which is critical).  Most folks will suggest you just bite the bullet and put in new OEM Honda coils, but you're right the cost is highway robbery!

I think there are a couple of minor problems with the Dynatek coils:

You'll need to make up your own wiring terminals as the Dynatek's are not the same as the stock coils (stud vs spade).  I'd get an old OEM coil wire 'jumper' and put the required terminals on it - that way, you preserve your original jumper should you ever come across a cheap set of new OEM coils (admittedly this may be a wast of time if you Dynatek coils last forever which they probably will).  Alternatively make up a new jumper if you have the mating harness connector available.

The Dynatek's will not fit in the OEM coil 'carrier'.  you'll need to fab up some adapter brackets.  Pretty easy to due with some aluminum angle 'iron' - see next point.

The Dynatek's have 'nozzles' at the coil for the high voltage wires.  If you mount the coils in what appear to be the 'natural' position using the OEM carrier (with an adapter), the nozzles will stick down quite a bit and will probably result in the emerging high voltage wires hitting the cam covers.  Probably workable, but I'd make up brackets such that the coils are rotated by 90 degrees (hence the idea to use angle 'iron') so the nozzles are facing front/back (more like the originals) rather than down.

The high voltage wire connection at the Dynatek coil is different than the OEM coil (where the wire screws on to a woodscrew-like-stud)  You'll have to mod your original wires and they may (stress MAY) not be long enough so you may have to replace your wires to get the length you need.

I still plan on doing this at some point but for now, my coil problems are in remission.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:02:09 pm by Bucko »

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:49 am »
I'll add this to the thread in case someone is searching, not to have a go at the OP!  :)

Oem coils are still available
Honda - 30510-ME9-013 - COIL, IGNITION
They may be pricey but they are an essential part of what made the VT the fun ride it is.
Bite the bullet! Buy oem see if it sorts out the problem. if it doesnt sell them for 20 or 30 bucks less than you paid. Someone will buy them. and it will have cost you less than an hours labour at the local dealership, and taken something out of the 'problem' equation so you can work on getting riding again.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:37 pm »
Supposedly the Coils from a mid 90's Chevy Beretta will also work well.

Here is a picture of the coils mounted up during the "mock-up" phase of an Ascot build: http://www.johnnystoybox.com/Getting%20There.htm

Unfortunately there is no write up about the details of the swap.

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:17:41 am »
Here is the information that I received on using the Beretta coils.

The car coils didn't work so good however.  They would get hot after about 20 minutes of riding in the Florida summer and start cutting out.  I had to replace them with a set of OEM coils from Honda.  So as mundane and non-exotic as it sounds, my recommendation would be to go with stock coils.  I just don't think the car coils are meant to take the heat of being under the tank, on top of the engine.  Now if you went to the trouble of remote mounting to get them out in the breeze it may work, but then you have another set of problems to deal with.  I know OEM is pricey, but they work.

So... Unfortunately, that option is not a good option.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:39 am »
My 2 cents and actual experience with VT500 coils.
I just replaced my original coils with a pair of Dynatec DC4-1 coils (new wires also) and all I can say is the difference is amazing. My bike, an original 84 VT500 Ascot always ran fine EXCEPT for the textbook coil problem (hard restarting when hot, wait 8 minutes, starts fine), Now the bike starts like all my other Hondas, one touch of the starter button and fires right up, hot or cold! Also, performance is better. BTW, the original coils tested OK, but I got tired of having an "unreliable" Honda . . . SO after all the sage advice given here - I just bit the bullet - and can't say enough about the benefits., . The Dyna coils were just $120.00 for the pair on Ebay.
My bike has just over 30k miles and is 100% stock and original. Thanks again to all for the discussions.

Written by "julianromagnoli" from the Yahoo VT500 Owners Group.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:05:13 am »
The Dynatec coils do not fit with the original coil bracket. The black plastic cover and the complete mounting bracket was removed.  I replaced the wires because, they were original.

To properly attach them to the frame in the same (correct) position, I used a metal strap ( if you ever installed a car stereo in the 70's, you know what this is, I got it at Advance Auto in the muffler section). Quite easy and secure, and when the tank is replaced, nothing is visible. 7 or 8mm wires can be used w/ the dynatek coils, I bought an inexpensive set for a V8 also at Advance Auto, I just cut them to length. The wires came with spark plug connectors, but I reused the original spark plug caps/connectors and fittings to keep an original look. The wires came with everything I needed at a cost of about $25.00. (if I went with OEM coils, I'd use new wires anyway, due to the age.
Also, the secondary connections on the dynatec coils are screw mounted, and the original ones are the usual flat push in connectors, so I just used some 14 guage primary wire to make the proper fittings, keeping the original connectors intact.

I'm not really a very handy guy, and I was able to do it all in one day, so it just takes a little patience. The original Honda coils would remove and replace in about 1 hour, but for me it was fun and worth saving about $100.00. Usually, I like OEM, but again, the savings.....

Some say the Dyna coils are superior to the stock,  all I can say is they were manufactured in 2013, and the coils I replaced were made over 30 years ago..... and now the Ascot runs much better. I know its from the coils, because I already know I had clean carbs, a good battery, and everything else is in order.

Hope this helps.. .

well485

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:47:42 am »
I just got done replacing the OEM coils with Dynatek DC4-1, 2.2ohm coils.
All you need are (4) small 90 degree angle brackets from the hardware store, (4) 6mm motorcycle battery terminal bolts to replace the original coil bolts, (4) 1/4 x 3/4" bolts/machine screws & nuts, (4) #10 internal serrated washers sandwiched between the coil body and the crimped eyelet on the terminal screws (so they don't loosen up over time).  Also 4 short male spade to round eyelet adapter wires. Sure it will take a little time but these are superior coils compared to OEM.

well485
Wisconsin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:57:32 pm by well485 »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 10:29:15 am »
Or... You could purchase direct fit, bolt on, replacement coils from Rick's Motosport: https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/Honda-Ignition-Coil-23_101

http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=498.0

J.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 10:44:05 am by J6G1Z »

well485

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 11:44:29 am »
Cool.  Thanks for the link.  I installed the Dyna's because I also installed them on my '75 CB400F Super Sport about 10 years ago with great results & longevity.