Author Topic: New guy from Canada  (Read 37301 times)

Jake2345

New guy from Canada
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:10:42 am »
Howdy folks
My name Jacob, I recently bought myself a 1982 Honda FT500, so far I'm in love with this bike! I haven't been able to take it out on a full drive, but I did take it too a local high school parking lot and rode with my dad, while he was on his bike! Loved every second of it…however I'm having to put the bike away because of weather and because I don't have my motorcycle license….

SO what I done to the bike so far?
Repainted it, guy I bought it off of had painted it flat black….I'm keeping it original and flat black…
 Tune up, new spark plug, tune the carb
 In the next couple of months I'm gonna do a new chain and sprockets (Don't know what size to go with but help would be great!)
 I have to put a new muffler on….. I've been looking around, can't find anything I really like, however I've seen a few videos of guys with aftermarket mufflers, like  Jemco mufflers and some custom made ones, which sound really nice, but again I need a hand finding a decent sounding one
 Last but not least……tires….. Before I start riding I'm gonna go out, get a decent pair of tires, nothing crazy, but nothing cheap either, right in the middle

Anyways if any of you guys can give me a hand, that would be fantastic!
Anywho Cheers!
Jacob

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: New guy from Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:53:37 am »
Welcome to the board Jacob & congratulations on becomming an Ascot owner. They are great bikes. What a shame that someone had painted it flat black. They originally came in either red or black & both colors really looked good. Oh well, it gave you the freedom to paint your own bike as you see fit. Make sure you look through the "Tech Section" on this forum for lots of information on what to do with your bike. Here is one link that every FT500 Ascot owner should read & follow to one degree or another. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0

As far as a new chain & sprockets... The FT500 has a 530 pitch chain & sprockets. Most folks perform the Jetting changes described in that link that I posted for you & then increase the size of the countershaft (front) sprocket by one or two teeth. I'm running a 16 tooth on my stock Ascot. Another real Trick modification is to swap to a 520 pitch chain & sprockets like the XL & XR 500/600 bikes have. The 520 chain is a bit smaller profile than the 530 & saves a bunch of weight. I'm in the process of doing a 520 swap on my modified FT500, but my new chain & sprockets have not arrived yet.

As far as mufflers... There are a few options. The EMGO reverse megaphone mufflers are about the easiest to find & install. Do yourself a favor & buy the two-piece reverse megaphone so you can take it apart & add more packing or silencing material. Another option is to pick up a universal Super-Trapp if you can find one that is priced in your range. Of course you can adapt a modern Sport-Bike cannister type of muffler, but often times they don't look quite right. There use to be a slip on muffler by Cobra available for the FT500, but they have been discontinued for a long time. I found one on eBay once, but haven't seen any other ones since then. I've been working on trying to get one of the after-market manufacturers to finish up a batch of performance headers for our FT's, but you will still need to source a muffler.

When it comes to tires... There are a lot to choose from! I don't know much about all the various tires available or which one may be better than the others. I have been using Avon Road Riders on my stock FT500 & have been pleased with them in dry conditions. I ride hard & push both the bike & the tires to the best of my abilities. So far the Road Riders have never slipped on me. I usually don't ride if the asphalt is wet though so cannot report on wet weather handling. I just ordered a new set of Avon Road Riders for my modified FT500 from Amazon.com of all places. They were just a few cents shy of $200 to my door & arrived in about 3 days. You definately want to spend wisely on tires & stay away from the cheaper tires. Both the FT & the VT Ascots are capable of excellent handling in the turns, so you need a sticky tire.

Well hope that helps a bit. Read up on some of the forum posts & please feel free to post away, everyone is welcome to participate.

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:08:59 pm by J6G1Z »

Jake2345

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 12:06:15 pm »
That helps a ton! Thank you very much! I'll look into both those sprockets and mufflers, as for the muffler, would that give it a slight tone? I want the bike to have a decent tone, and be slightly loud, just so people know I'm there, this is what I'd like to have on my bike:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUeFoFcCHRI

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:23:55 pm »
The EMGO muffler won't bark quite as much as the Super-Trapp muffler in that video. Depending upon how much stainless steel wool or fiberglass muffler packing that you wrap the internal perforated pipe with, will allow you to tune the noise somewhat. Check out this PDF: http://www.emgo.com/images/pdf/2013_Muffler.pdf  and look for Part #80-84030B towards the end of Page #3.

I went with the one piece reverse megaphone that they call their "CAFE' Muffler". Here's a couple of pictures: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=79.msg217#msg217
It fit up real easy & looks Bitchin' but it's too loud for responsible & reasonable sound levels. I will most likely replace it with the one mentioned above.

There are a lot of sellers on eBay that sell the EMGO parts, so it may pay you a few bucks to shop around some. I believe that you could also order the muffler from: http://www.speedmotoco.com  I have used them in the past & they offer reasonable pricing, plus fast (usually same day) shipping.

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:30:21 pm by J6G1Z »

Jake2345

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:34:12 pm »
Hmm ok thank you, I really appreciate all the help!
One question, for the rear sprocket, what would you say to go with? Stock size on the rear? Also I'm having some issues with my speedometer, when I originally picked the pick up, my buddy test drove it for me, went through all the gears, felt the brakes....etc....basic stuff, now he said it was working when I got it, now when I last took the bike out (its been getting repainted, and fixed up since then and hasn't moved) it didn't work, nor did the tach, I've since replaced the tach cable(old was seized right up)...my question is, what should I look at? Could it be the cable itself? Could it be actually inside the case?
Also I've seen some people take the old style speedo/tach off and replace it with a new fancy style one, what do you think is better?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:52:10 pm »
You need to make sure that you perform the Jetting changes as described in the "Ascot Essentials" post. That will allow your engine to make more power.

Some guys are running a 16 tooth front with a 39 tooth rear. That's what I ordered with my 520 conversion kit. I wouldn't go any smaller on the back than the 39, or somewhere in between the 39 & the stock size. (42 teeth I think)

I would check the Speedo cable first. Disconnect it from the back of the gauge & then spin the front wheel & see if the cable is turning.

There are plenty of after-market gauge sets available. Just depends on what you want to do with the bike. Here is a post with a few of the after-market options. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=72.0

J.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:29:02 pm by J6G1Z »

Jake2345

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:37:20 pm »
OK perfect, thanks buddy! I really like all the help I've gotten so far! This place is awesome!
Thanks again! I'll get some photos of my bike and throw them up here to show what I've got so far

Jake2345

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:58 pm »
So for the last little while I haven't touched my bike....I took my bike to a shop about two weeks ago for them to do some work, and check things over......sadly I found out my rear axle is seized on to the bike itself, and the rear wheel bearing, just over the rear sprocket is also gone.......they couldn't change the sprockets or chain sssoooo...now I'm getting them to change that, or atleast fix it, I also found out I had a thumb nail sized hole in the header pipe, so they are going to try and fix that. Needless to say, bike is hit some bumps and is slowly coming along.....just a real shame how some people treat stuff
But I hope to have the bike on the road by the end of April, beginning of May

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 10:31:25 am »
Jacob,

Sorry to hear about the difficulties that you've been experiencing. I remember the first time I tried to remove my front & rear wheels from my FT Ascot to have new tires installed. I could not remove the rear axle. I used some foaming rust buster nut & bolt loosening spray & let it sit over night. I got lucky & that did the job. The next day the axle came out with a few taps of a dead blow. You could also try a 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF (automatic transmission fluid) to loosen the stuck parts, just be careful not to get it on any paint. When you reassemble everything, smear a light coating of grease on the axle & the other parts to prevent corrosion & galling.

The hole in the header pipe could have been caused by moisture collecting in the same location & eventually eating its way through the pipe. You need to know that the original FT Ascot header pipes are dual wall tubing. After a while the inner tubing can seperate from the outer tubing causing a rattling sound from your exhaust. If your finances will allow it... I recommend that you consider ordering a new high performance header system available from ThumperStuff. These are a limited production item & once the existing supply runs out, that will be it. They are a real nice header system made from single wall tubing that will remove some weight from your bike while also allowing the exhaust to flow more freely. I believe that the price is $170 plus shipping. Understand that this is just the header assembly & that you will also need to source a muffler/tail pipe section. There are several options from a simple EMGO reverse megaphone, a Sport-Bike type of cannister silencer, on up to a Super Trapp muffler.

Good luck & don't give up on your bike. The FT Ascot will deliver the goods once you get it sorted out.
J.

PS. Here is the posting on the Header Pipe: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=138.0

Jake2345

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01:29 am »
Well its currently still getting fixed however.....today they told my dad that it was fixed and didn't take much time at all!
Good news, the axle is fixed, and within a decent budget, and in slightly better news the header will be done as well, and this will all take about another week or so. I should be able to do some minor work myself, but pretty much my bike will be out and able to go on the road in less then two weeks!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:04:27 am »
Good for you! You're making better progress than I am.

You are going to really enjoy your bike & it sounds like it will be ready just in time for riding season, depending upon where you live.

Good luck
J.

Jake2345

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 12:18:27 am »
Paid for the bikes work today. Hopefully will see it at some point this week, have another welder who will help me out with the header....then I have to fix the gauges and get a front tire, and get the carb ready then boom ready for the road!
I'm pretty much into riding season now...however...it just started raining....lovely vancouver island...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 10:26:42 am »
Hey Jacob,

Sounds like you're getting it done. Your weather sounds the same as mine. I'm near Portland, Or. & yesterday was a 50/50 day of light to heavy rain... then sunshine... then repeat. It will do this off & on until after the 4th. of July.

Here is a site that you should take a look at: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/files

It is the "FILES" section of the Yahoo FT500 Ascot Owners Group. There are several technical articles on there to read up on. Sometimes I have problems with getting some of the FILES to open. Often using the right click on the mouse & manually selecting the open feature from the drop down menu will open the link. There is one article on the FT500 exhaust system that explains the dual wall tubing that the headers are constructed out of. If you have a hole in one of the header pipes, it could be in a location where there is actually one tube inside the outer tube. Just a piece of information that you will want to share with your welder.

If your budget allows it, you might want to pick up one of the performance header systems from ThumperStuff out of Washington state. You will also need to decide upon a muffler & pick that up also.

When it comes to tires... I really like the Avon Road Riders. I just bought a pair from Amazon.com for a bit less than $200 with free shipping. One of the forum members just bought a pair of the newly redesigned Conti-Motion tires & he's really pleased with those tires. Of course there is the old standby, the Bridgestone BT45's. I've heard reports that they can be slippery when wet though. I have a set of BT45's on my VT Ascot & have yet to find their limits.

What's going on with your guages?

Good luck
J.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:38:11 am by J6G1Z »

Jake2345

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 10:47:58 pm »
Ok thank you! that helps me out a fair bit! My guages are siezed....or well not working...not sure if it just needs a bit of lube in the gears or what not, but pretty much now, I have two brand new cables, one for the the speedo and tach and well it doesn't work...so my dads friend and I are going to take them apart and see if we can't fix that and lube it up a bit...as for the headers, i'm just going to patch weld it for now, save up and buy another set down the road. I don't have the time o money to really wait around anymore. I got an idea on a muffler, a reverse megaphone style muffler, my dad has them on his triumph and it sounds beastly and well they are a decent size(17cm) so I'm gonna get one I think!

Jake2345

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 12:41:54 am »
So here is the update. Head pipe has been fixed, they are getting me a muffler, or something that will work, and they are also going to be replacing my front tire. Things that are left after that, which I'm going to do are my gauges and and oil change. Down the road I'm going to be putting on cafe racer style handle bars and changing the front light out from the square one to a round one.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2014, 10:56:21 am »
You will love a new front tire. Nothing changes the vague feeling & handling like new rubber! Try not to go cheap on tires if you can afford it. I like the Avon Road Riders, but there are plenty of other good tires out there.

What type of problems did you have with the original muffler? Or are you just trying to find some more performance/sound? The bike rides pretty good with the original muffler. The EMGO slip on reverse megaphones are the cheapest & easiest mufflers to use on the FT that I am aware of. Unless you can find a great deal on a Sport-Bike take off canister style muffler.

I'm not a big fan of Cafe type of bars on Ascots as the bike is just not layed out well for Cafe bars. Usually when a bike receives Cafe style of bars, or clip-ons, the seat height is reduced somewhat also, to lower you into the top of the bike. The Ascot is designed to be ridden more like a dirt bike & is very comfortable with that style of riding. Plus many times the Cafe bars will allow your hand controls to make contact or dent your fuel tank at full steering lock.

The headlight is easy to swap if you just can't stand the rectangular headlight. Once again... EMGO has several round headlights, mounts & turn signals to choose from. I went with this one (with black turn signals) from this seller: http://www.speedmotoco.com/product-p/smc.404.mofo.htm Here are several other headlights from the same seller: http://www.speedmotoco.com/category-s/48.htm  Whatever headlight you end up using, make sure that the mounting ears are very solid so the headlight won't vibrate. Below are a couple of pictures of my headlight assembly. (Please excuse the left turn signal not being straight.  :-[ ) Notice how beefy the headlight mounts are. They just "kiss" the fuel tank at full turn on each side, but they are solid. You will need mounts that will attach to 37mm fork tubes if I recall correctly. All the Honda wiring will just fit into that headlight bucket & it has the same type of cut outs on the back side to allow for the wires. The headlight itself just plugged right in to the original connector. You will also need to relocate the horn when you swap headlights. Here you can use your imagination. I made a simple "L" shaped bracket & mounted a smaller diameter horn just above the handlebar lock. This location is ideal for sound being sent forward, but it prevents me from centering the headlight between the triple clamps.

If & when you change the turn signals, you may need to change out the flasher to a modern lower draw flasher unit. I used this one from SuperBrightLEDs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/lf1-s-pin-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/841/  I have LED lighting in the back, small incandescent up front & this flasher worked for me. I've heard that adding a resistor to the turn signal lead will allow you to keep the old flasher, but I don't know how to determine the correct size resistor.

When you change your oil. Make sure that you use a motorcycle specific oil like Hondalube, Yamalube, Golden Spectro, etc. Do not use standard automotive oil as it no longer has the additives that a motorcycle engine requires. If all else fails & you can't use a motorcycle oil for whatever reason... Use some Rotello or Delo 400 diesel engine oil. Oil filters are becomming hard to find. Last I knew, Mark at ThumperStuff has filters in stock. You might as well pick up a couple of them, or a 6-pack. If you place an order from ThumperStuff, you might as well order the two jets that are required to perform the jetting upgrade as described in the "Ascot Essentials", plus a 16 or 17 tooth countershaft sprocket. The jets & the countershaft sprocket upgrade really go together well to allow your bike to perform at its best.

That's about it. Good luck & get her going... The snow is melting.
J.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:08:20 am by J6G1Z »

Jake2345

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 02:09:23 am »
So alittle update.....and sorry about the late replies I've been very busy at work and with life in the last 2 months...I have been riding the bike since it cme out of the shop and started noticing stuff that wa either done incorrectly or not done at all....so I had to fix lot of things...however t hasn't stopped me from enjoying this great bike! Now my issues, I have a oil leak... It is the valve cover, I still have been able to do my fork seals but that's on the list... Also noticed that I hear a clanking sound, got told it is my automatic chain tensioner inside the block...read up on it and apparently once it is gone you just replace it...is that true? Or could it be something else?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 01:20:45 pm »
I was able to fix my valve cover leak with a piece of glass & some fine wet & dry sanding paper.

I removed the valve cover from the engine & then flipped it over & carefully removed the O-ring from the valve cover (Be gentle with the O-ring as you need to re-use it). I then took a sheet of about 400 grit wet & dry sand paper & taped it to the flat piece of glass. I then added a little water & started sanding the inside side of that valve cover. Use a very gentle even pressure across the valve cover & sand in a figure 8 pattern to equally remove material. You just want to evenly remove enough material to allow that old O-ring to stand out more when re-assembled. Make sure that you clean the part real well of any sanding residue before re-assembly.

I kind of cheated when I put mine back together. I applied a light finger smear of black RTV to the O-ring & then snugged it up evenly. Be careful not to over tighten the fasteners.

Can't really help you with the clanking noise. Do you have a Honda Service Manual that you can refer to yet? If not, then you better make that your next purchase. You need a "real" Honda Service Manual to help you. It will pay for itself in a short time.

Good luck
J.

Jake2345

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 11:28:18 pm »
Hmm ok, well I'm gonna try and tackle that very soon, but I'm gonna try and put up a photo for ya too see what I'm working with

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 10:19:41 am »
No wonder it leaks... Your bike is upside down.  ;D

J.

Jake2345

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 10:50:12 pm »
Hahaha the darn photo turn upside down....damn phone

Jake2345

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 12:33:40 am »
Bad news folks....the motor blew...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 09:48:50 am »
Bad news folks....the motor blew...

How'd you manage that? It's usually a pretty tough engine. Did your oil level get low?

Sorry to hear that
J.

Jake2345

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 10:31:45 am »
I made sure there was oil in it, but I'm assuming that because of the lack of maintence by the last owner it just went bang.....like I tried to keep this going but the kid before me did not keep it running right....sorry I don't know what to do with it anymore

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 11:59:47 am »
Does the engine still run at all?

Does the engine still rotate?

How did the engine die? Did it just stop running, or did it cough/hick-up a couple times first?

Are you 100% sure that your carb is receiving fuel?

Do you know how to run a compression test?

From what I recall, these engines are near bullet proof except for the cam chain tensioner. I seem to recall problems with cam chain tensioners. I've been lucky enough to have not had any problems in this area, so I cannot be of much help there.

I'd answer those first 4 questions & run a compression check if the engine still rotates properly. Once we know if you have compression or not, then a plan can be put together. Might as well check for spark while you are at it. If you don't know how to run these tests, just let me know. They are fairly easy. You will need to locate a compression test gauge that will thread into your sparkplug hole. Often you can borrow or rent one from an auto parts store.

Good luck
J.