Author Topic: WTB FT500 parts or project bike  (Read 14201 times)

DonDDR

WTB FT500 parts or project bike
« on: February 02, 2014, 04:45:04 pm »
Need a frame, swing arm, shock and linkage and the motor. Prefer on the west coast (I am in Oregon) to save on shipping.

Thanks

Don

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: WTB FT500 parts or project bike
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »
Hey Don,

Here's a Craigslist Ad for one in Vancouver, Wa.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/4313038795.html
It's not much of an Ad. No pics & no phone number.
Shoot them an e-mail real quick before the Ad expires.

Here's what sounds like a beater in Washington. No Title though.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/4312577121.html

Good luck
J.

DonDDR

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 06:14:40 pm »
I saw both of them and sent them msgs this morning. No title is not a big deal at the moment. Thanks for the reply J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »
No problem.

Here's the pics & reply that I received on the Vancouver bike.

I bought the bike a yr ago. It runs well. It does leak and when the motor gets hot it burns off.. I've had it to a mechanic 3 times but every time it came back a little worse... Tags are good. No tachometers. But everything else works. More questions, just ask. Tags are good til march or April.  360-721-2805

It has Dual-Sport tires on it & looks like its been ridden off road quite a bit. A bit rough around the edges.

J.

DonDDR

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:11:29 pm »
Is it worth the money he is asking?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »
I don't think so, but there aren't a whole bunch of them around.

I'd go look at it if you're not too far away & be prepared to offer $500 to $700 or so. If the oil leak is just from one of the rocker arm covers, that is common & fairly easy to fix. You can remove the cover & then remove the O-Ring that fits around the perimeter. Then you need a flat surface like a piece of glass & tape a sheet of fine sand paper on it. Then gently sand the underside of the cover in a figure eight pattern to just slightly reduce its height. Then when you put the O-Ring back in, it will stick out farther & make a better seal. Of course you could also just run a fine bead of oil & heat resistant RTV around the cover & re-install.

It's too bad that the gauges have been crunched on this bike. Now there's no telling how many miles are on it.

Good luck
J.

DonDDR

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 11:42:35 pm »
I was kinda thinking its a $500 bike, but like you said not alot of them around. I am in Eugene so the bike is 2 hours away. Ill contact him later in the week and feel him out. How did you do selling all the left over stuff from your build? If that stuff does sell, I can pay more for a bike as I just need the frame, motor etc.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:57:21 am »
Not a lot of buyers out there for parts. At least not through the forums. I haven't tried eBay yet though.

J.

DonDDR

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:12 pm »
I didnt think there was much call for those parts. Its what we all replace when building a non stock bike.