Author Topic: Buddy's Ascots...  (Read 14521 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Buddy's Ascots...
« on: February 06, 2014, 10:04:32 am »
Here are a couple of nice looking Ascots that board member Buddy owns.

Here's one that has custom paint much like the old HRC race bikes.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Buddy's Ascots...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 10:06:10 am »
...And here is a clean black Ascot with a real sharp looking custom exhaust & couple of touring additions.

Buddy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 11:38:39 pm »
Thanks John, for posting the pics for me.

These two bikes have quite a story behind them. The red, white & blue one was bought new by a friend (Terry) while he worked as a tech at the Honda dealership. It's an 83 that started out red. I really liked it when I first saw it, but had just bought a dirt bike or I would have considered getting one myself. He repainted it after an accident many years ago. Along the way he jetted the carb, removed the pre-muffler and added an F1 can. It had sat in his yard for many years. A couple times he cleaned the carbs and got it running just to let it sit some more. I asked him to sell it to me a couple months ago, but he said no that it wasn't costing anything to sit. He figured he'd get it roadworthy someday and ride again. After thinking on it for a while he gave in and called with an offer.

His brother (Mike) also has a red 83 with less than 9000 miles on it. It's a little ruff after sitting under a shed for any years. I think I've convinced Mike to restore his. It runs great, just needs paint and polish.

I picked up the black one last year off craigslist. It started off as a red 83 also. It ran but had carb/intake issues and exhaust leaks. I cleaned and jetted the carb, built the connector pipes and added the Emgo mufflers. Now it runs great and is lots of fun to ride. I rode it to Mobile (145 miles) for the Mobile Bay Vintage Bike Club show and to Birmingham (also 145 miles) for the Barber Motorsports Vintage Festival. Got 50+ mpg.

I'm in the process of swapping the bodywork now so I can show off Terry's paint job with intensions of getting the other bike roadworthy latter. I hope to pick up a Shadow parts bike and swap the gauge cluster and a round headlight onto the one with the black body work. Then if I can find someone to ride one of them we can take three Ascots out and burn up the country roads around south Alabama.

Thanks for readin my ramblings,
Buddy

83 VT500ft Ascot (x3)
09 Yamaha Venture Royal(Miss Vivian)
If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:53 am »
Nice story & nice bikes. It's a shame that the one with the white seat was left exposed to the weather.

If & when you find a 500cc Shadow donor, you might consider hanging on to the rear drive system to swap into one of your Ascots. It's geared slightly higher to compensate for the Shadow's 16" rear wheel. Some Ascot owners like to swap in the higher geared rear-end for better freeway flying.

Good luck
J.

Buddy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:17:54 pm »
Yep, Mike actually wants to do the rear end swap on his bike. So we'll share parts from the donor bike.

Buddy

83 VT500ft Ascot (x3)

2fast2young

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:36:53 am »
Buddy,

Would you be interested in fabbing up another one of those connections? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that setup uses the stock headers, but converts them into a 2-2 setup? Does this eliminate the power chamber? Looks very clean!!

Elliot

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:39:17 am »
If you're not able to fabricate two extension pipes from the OEM head pipes to the after-market mufflers, there is always the exhaust systems from MAC. Either way will eliminate the heavy "power-chamber".

The original NOS (New Old Stock) MAC system: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=33.0

The newer MAC system: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=34.0

I'm familiar with the NOS system as I've run that exhaust before. I have not seen the newer system. The MAC pipes are single wall tubing & are much lighter than the original exhaust. I'm guessing that swapping the original exhaust removes a good 20-25lbs from the bike.

Good luck
J.

Buddy

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:39:53 pm »
Buddy,

Would you be interested in fabbing up another one of those connections? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that setup uses the stock headers, but converts them into a 2-2 setup? Does this eliminate the power chamber? Looks very clean!!

Elliot

I'm thinking about changing the system someday so it could be for sale in the future. It may not be anytime soon as I have a huge legal issue looming over me right now. I'll keep ya in mind.

It does use stock head pipes and eliminates the power chamber. The Emgo mufflers were a little louder than I liked so I added another set of baffles to them. Sounds more like a big bore single with them split.

Buddy
83 VT500ft Ascot (x3)

2fast2young

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:08 pm »
Thanks for the reply Buddy. Hope everything works out in law law land.