Author Topic: How To Post Pictures  (Read 38852 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
How To Post Pictures
« on: August 15, 2013, 07:28:27 pm »
How to post pics.

The hardest part for me was trying to keep track of & find the pictures on my computer. What I ended up doing was to just create & keep a folder on my desktop for my pics. You can do that by placing your cursor on a blank area on your screen & using the right click button on your mouse. Right click & scroll down the drop down menu to “New” and then over to “Folder”. Once you left click on “Folder” you will now have a “New Folder” on your desktop. Now you need to name your folder. Once you’ve figured out what kind of catchy name you’re going to use, you will need to place your cursor below the folder on the area that says “New Folder”. Use the right click button again & scroll down to “Rename”. Now you can type in your new name. I typed AAA in front of the new name on mine. This will help later on.

O.K. Now we have our cool folder for our pics. I’m going to assume that you know how to get the pics off your camera & into your cool new folder. If your not sure how to do this. You can send me a PM & I’ll see if I can help you out.

So now we want to make a post with a few words & a pic or two. There are a few things you might have to do first. The pics must be no larger than 500KB each and sized to around 800 wide. I let the length adjust accordingly.

There are several ways to accomplish this. A few years ago I was told about a free program to resize & compress pics called: "Image Optimizer" at: http://xat.com/io/index.html

Now we have a pic that will fit. We will either be starting a new topic or replying to one and we have our panel open where we usually type. You have to put something in this field whether it’s words, an icon, an X or even a number. Just something. Next you will look towards the lower left corner & see where it says “Additional Options”. Left click on that & it will open up. If you look down you will see where it says “Attach:” Just to the right is a long white rectangle & a button labeled “Browse” You want to click on the Browse button. That will open a new panel usually in the top left of your screen. It should say “Choose File” at the top. Below that you should see where it says “Look In” & next to that another white rectangle with a drop down arrow at the end. Click on that arrow & look for your cool new folder. The triple A’s should place it fairly near the top. Once you’ve found your folder you will click on it. That will open it up & show you your pics. Select the pic you want & double click on it. Now your pic should be in the white rectangle between the word “Attach” and the button labeled “Browse”.

Now go to the bottom & hit either “Preview” or “Post”.

If your pic was sized correctly you should be done or ready to post another.

Your picture will be displayed as a midsized thumbnail pic. If you place your cursor on the picture & click on it, it will become full size.

Once you’ve done it a time or two, it will go faster than reading this instruction. I hope I’ve explained it well enough that it is easy to understand & follow.

Good luck & please let me know if I can help you any.
J6G1Z

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 07:42:50 pm by J6G1Z »

Street Tracker 37

• Dirt Track Mentality
Re: How To Post Pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 09:38:58 pm »
Test my Ascot

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 09:57:19 pm »
Looks like you have it all figured out.

Great looking bike. I'm partial to the black ones.

Thanks
J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 04:41:16 am »
just a quick test to see what can be seen and what cannot. In another post you say my pics dont show but i can see them (logged in or out) so this is in the spirit of testing compatibility.  :)
(btw I'm using firefox 23. Linux Mint )

Could you let me know which work  :)

1. using the mona lisa insert image icon above  and pasting a web link between the brackets ...

2. using the same insert image icon but pasting an image from a web image hosting place ( dropbox)

3. just posting the same link without the

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79596959/2013-06-30%2018.09.52.jpg

4. Using the 'attach' facility bottom left ...

I can browse and select a pic (500x333 78kb) but i cannot seem to attach it ??

EDIT: yes i can!  :-[
the attachment does not show in the preview but is indeed there when posted.

cheers
nev

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 04:55:39 am by cdntfindanAscot »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 10:29:45 am »
Number 3) Just shows the dreaded red X. :(

The problem with using outside picture sites, is if you close the account or delete some of your pics at a later date, then the forum post just shows red X's.

I hate the red X. Nothing worse than reading someones great post & then finding the red X instead of the pic. :'(

When you use the forum attachment feature, that doesn't happen. The pics can be sized as wide as 800 & the length can just maintain the aspect ratio. Pics need to be no larger than 128256 KB. You can post as many as four pics in each post as long as the total size doesn't exceed 192KB. About the only negative feature about the forum attachment feature is that all the pics appear as thumbnails at the bottom of your post. You can't post a pic in the middle of your post & then type more letters underneath the pic. That's kind of a drag, but I've become used to it & just start a new window for a new pic.

When you click on the thumbnail of the pic it becomes as large as you sized it. That is why I like to use between 700 to 800 wide. That fills most screens without having to scroll to the right or left to see the whole pic.

If you don't have a picture sizing program on your computer, try downloading the "Image Optimizer" from  http://xat.com/io/index.html

It's free to download & fairly easy to use once you figure it out. What is real nice is that you can size & optimize a whole batch of pics at once. You just select the pics that you want to use, set the physical dimensions & the max KB, then hit the Optimize button & away it goes.

Here is your pic at its original size.

Thanks
J.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:37:14 pm by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:36:59 am »
Here is your pic sized to 700 wide.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:37:48 am »
Here is your pic at 800 wide.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:50:52 pm »
Number 3) Just shows the dreaded red X. :(

The problem with using outside picture sites, is if you close the account or delete some of your pics at a later date, then the forum post just shows red X's.

I hate the red X. Nothing worse than reading someones great post & then finding the red X instead of the pic. :'(

You can't post a pic in the middle of your post & then type more letters underneath the pic. That's kind of a drag, but I've become used to it & just start a new window for a new pic.

Thanks
J.

Hi J, I'm with you on the dreaded red X! and its a bit of a palaver but you can reference your own attachment

to put a pic in the text if you really want to ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:54:42 pm by cdntfindanAscot »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 02:24:33 pm »
Hey... How did you do that?

I'm not very computer literate & don't know all the little tricks that can be done.

Thanks
J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 02:04:23 pm »
hi J
to put pics inline within the text, you just use the insert image icon and reference your own attachment instead of an off site image, that way as long as your attachment is left in place there will be no red x.

1. create post with pics as attachments and post it. Then view your post.
2. open a second tab or window in your browser and navigate to your post.
3. choose modify post.
4. place cursor within text where you want pic to be and using the 'insert image' icon above
5. switch to other tab or window, click on and expand your chosen attachment, right click and choose 'copy image location'.
6. switch back to other tab and paste link between the brackets (img) paste here (/img).
repeat if desired.
save post.

like i say , a bit of a palaver, but simple enough if the post requires in line pics, for example on a 'how to'.
:)
cheers
nev

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 03:26:20 pm »
Cool! Thanks!

Not near as simple as dropping in the links from a photo-host, but they won't disappear later.

Hmmm... Learn something new every day. LOL!

J.

Buddy

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 08:53:30 pm »
test
83 VT500ft Ascot (x3)
09 Yamaha Venture Royal(Miss Vivian)
If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 10:08:37 pm »
John, the numbers don't add up: 4x128=512, so the max total will never be 1000. Can you change the settings to:
4 per post
max total size 1024KB
Max individual size 512KB (or at least 256KB)
Thanks
PS, I hate the dreaded X, also. ;)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 11:50:53 am »
Well... It took a while to find the right screen, but I think I've managed to reset the numbers to 256K per pic X 4 pics per post & a total of 1100K. Now somebody check it out & see if it works.

Thank you
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50:12 pm »
Works for me! ;D I've been on an SMF forum for a few years now, and I've seen a few changes in the sizes, so I've gathered an inkling into how it works.
Just for grins, try setting the max individual size to 512. This will allow 2 512KB pics or 4 256KB pics. Or, you could set the max individual size at 1024, which would allow 1 pic at that resolution per post, or two at 512, etc.
Thanks!!
Scott

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:17:32 am »
Would that cause the program to become full?

I like being able to post up to 4 pics in one frame.

Thanks
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 05:09:03 pm »
Remember, the settings are maximum values. When posting attachments, SMF looks to see if any attachment is equal to or less than the max individual size. If no, it is rejected, if yes, it checks to see if the number of attachments is equal to or less the the max number. If no, it is rejected, if yes, it checks to see if the total size is equal to or less than the total max size. As long as the total of the 4 pics is less than the max total allowed, it will work the same. For that matter, you could allow 10 pics per post, but the total size would still have to pass the total max size test, regardless of the max individual size.
BTW, I've never seen SMF set to allow the max individual size equal the max total size, but it should work. I have seen a max individual size of 1024, with a total max size of 2048, and 5 or 6 per post. I would try setting the max individual size to 512, as it allows more flexibility.
Thanks
Scott 

WTF304

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 12:20:47 am »
Is there a way to post pics from mobile ? Not sure if i can resize it on this phone

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 05:56:32 am »
Is there a way to post pics from mobile ? Not sure if i can resize it on this phone

Don't know. I'm not that modern.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2016, 08:47:22 pm »
Forum should now accept pictures of 2000KB each X 4 pics per post.

If you size the pictures to 800 wide & let the length follow, they will fit into the post frame.

J.