Author Topic: New guy with questions  (Read 11189 times)

qlance33

New guy with questions
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:12:00 pm »
Hi.  I am interested in buying a bike.  Haven't had a motorcycle since I was a teenager (Honda XR).  I have been looking on ebay and craigslist for a dual sport, but came across an awesome '82 FT500.  Love at first sight.  What a cool bike! 
In some light research it seems like this is a good bike for me to get back into riding. Aside from some starter issues that people keep noting, I wanted know the reliability and moreover will a newbie like me be able to do routine maintenance?  Also, I was curious of the ride comfort.  I am about 6'2", 200lbs.  Is the bike a good fit?  Are parts hard to find?  etc.
You guys seem to know your stuff, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: New guy with questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 08:22:24 pm »
Hi.  I am interested in buying a bike.  Haven't had a motorcycle since I was a teenager (Honda XR).  I have been looking on ebay and craigslist for a dual sport, but came across an awesome '82 FT500.  Love at first sight.  What a cool bike! 
In some light research it seems like this is a good bike for me to get back into riding. Aside from some starter issues that people keep noting, I wanted know the reliability and moreover will a newbie like me be able to do routine maintenance?  Also, I was curious of the ride comfort.  I am about 6'2", 200lbs.  Is the bike a good fit?  Are parts hard to find?  etc.
You guys seem to know your stuff, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like an FT500 would work fine for you except for the Dual-Sport aspect. They are not really suited for off-road use. If you really want to go off-road than keep looking for a Honda XR/XL or the Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc. The Ascots don't really have the suspension for the dirt.

The Ascots are street bikes that are modeled to look like Flat Track racers. Other than the FT needing some maintenance on the starting system on occasion, they are completely reliable. Just make sure that you have a strong battery, use the choke & pump the throttle about 3 to 4 times or more before you try to start it & the starter system should be fine. The carb has an accelerator pump so every time you twist the throttle the carb/engine receives a squirt of fuel. That's how I prime the bike for starting & it has worked well for me.

Check out the topic Sticky's & the Ascot Essentials post to get a better idea of what the bike needs.

Good luck & let us know if you have any other questions.
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: New guy with questions
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:09:22 am »
Here are a couple of posts that every new or prospective FT500 owner should read.

http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=5.0

http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=10.0

Good luck
J.