Author Topic: Check Out This Nicely Modified FT500  (Read 12325 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Check Out This Nicely Modified FT500
« on: February 23, 2014, 10:48:13 am »
I found this Ascot on the Yahoo FT500 Ascot Owners Group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/conversations/messages/19512

I don't know any of the build details unfortunately, but I see 17" wheels on each end & what I'm guessing is a Hawk front end. Hopefully I'll learn more about it in the next few days.

J.

wiguzziman

Re: Check Out This Nicely Modified FT500
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:58:11 pm »
The photos of the 1983 FT500 that were posted to this forum are of my FT500 after a winters worth of work.  I've been asked to provide a few details on the bike, so here goes.
The modifications/improvements actually began in the winter of 2012/2013.  That winter saw the removal of the rectangular headlight, and instrument cluster. The headlight was replaced with a round unit from a Honda CB450.  The instruments were replaced with a round tach and a bicycle computer/speedometer.  The fly screen was also added then.  I did a 520 chain/sprocket conversion with 15/39 final gearing as well.  All this complimented the re-jetting of the stock Keihin carb and the re-baffled stock muffler. Guess you could call that Phase 1.

This winter started Phase 2.  I added 17" wheels to both the front and rear.  The rear came from a 88-89 Honda CBR600, and the front came from a 88-89 Honda Hawk GT   (NT650).  The front forks, triple trees, brakes, and front fender all came from the same 88-89 Hawk GT.  I was lucky and was able to purchase the entire front end for a very reasonable price.  I used an "All Balls" tapered roller bearing steering head kit to mate the Hawk triple trees to the Ascot frame.  Because of the different wheel sizes I'm trying a combination of 16/38 final drive gearing.  The exhaust system is from JEMCO and is a full system with a street baffle in the muffler.  It provides excellent power and has a nice deep "thump".  To compliment the new exhaust a 36 mm Mikuni VM carb was added as well.  I used the stock air box and it was a fairly easy connect to the Mikuni.  DYI braided stainless brake lines were added front and rear using Magnum line/fittings from Magnum Brake Products.  I had the wheels powder-coated in the silver seen and the fuel tank, side panels, and front fender were all painted in basic black with minimal badging added.  I also built a new custom one off dash using an electronic tach from a 1990 Honda GB500 as the focal point along with the bicycle speedo/computer and a small clock.

There were lots of other little touches done to personalize the bike, but the above listed are the main changes/improvements.  Now if this loooooooooooong, coooooooold, mid-west winter will ever go away I'll get a chance to road test my work.  Yes, as someone asked on another forum---it's a RIDER!!  That's what motorcycles were made for!!  :-)

Neil   

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 07:04:23 pm »
Neil,

Thanks for the details on your bike. I'm building one somewhat along the same lines. Your bike turned out real nice! I'll bet you are just about going nuts waiting to see how it rides.

J.

thumperdh

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 08:04:50 pm »
Oh man that is a sweet ride, I was never a fan of the style aspect of the NT wheels but that's just me. The whole thing looks just awesome. Great job.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header