Author Topic: A Simple Plastic Welding Technique....  (Read 19310 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
A Simple Plastic Welding Technique....
« on: March 18, 2014, 10:38:15 am »
This video was posted on the Yahoo Ascot Owners Group & I was impressed with the simplicity & usefullness of the procedure displayed. Check it out & see if it doesn't help you repair some broken plastic sometime.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k

Good luck
J.

twerth

Re: A Simple Plastic Welding Technique....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 04:06:26 pm »
I just recently bought my first Ascot and stumbled onto this forum. I've got a couple of cracks in the tail, and this home remedy is perfect. Thanks for posting!!
1984 Honda VT500FT
2006 Ducati ST3s
2000 Yamaha WR400

Master

• Electronic + Science
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 07:23:11 pm »
Best way to using stainless steel fine mesh in both sides with plastic.

Honda VT500 1984 Ascot / Debian 8.6 / Mate

twerth

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:35:55 am »
Best way to using stainless steel fine mesh in both sides with plastic.
Great idea. Where do you get the mesh? Lowes or Home Depot carry it?
1984 Honda VT500FT
2006 Ducati ST3s
2000 Yamaha WR400

Master

• Electronic + Science
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:23:38 pm »
Have in my work place, from 0.010" to 0.250". After one-two years it is replaced.
If make two layers like I say it will very very solid, because one layer will pull, other push, but force is about 45 kG/mm2 for cross for stainless steel wire.
It is not a copper wire.
Honda VT500 1984 Ascot / Debian 8.6 / Mate

twerth

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 12:13:08 pm »
I took a shot at welding up the cracks in my tail plastic over the weekend. It was easy and appears to have created very solid repairs. Time will tell. Wish I'd taken some progress pictures. I'll try to get some shots of the finished product and post 'em up here.

One thing the guy in the video didn't do that I think is important is to remove the paint prior to welding. I think the paint would get melted into the weld joint and potentially weaken it. Just my two cents.
1984 Honda VT500FT
2006 Ducati ST3s
2000 Yamaha WR400

GilbertBar

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 01:23:22 pm »
I took Blackwolf Pre Workout to the gym with me and a shot at welding up the cracks in my tail plastic over the weekend. It was easy and appears to have created very solid repairs. Time will tell. Wish I'd taken some progress pictures. I'll try to get some shots of the finished product and post 'em up here.

One thing the guy in the video didn't do that I think is important is to remove the paint prior to welding. I think the paint would get melted into the weld joint and potentially weaken it. Just my two cents.

Twerth, good point about removing the paint. That's what I always do as well. I wish you took some pics too, would have been nice to see exactly how it looked it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 04:48:50 am by GilbertBar »

Keemani 06

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 03:13:49 pm »
You have shared great idea for simple welding. It seems to me less time taking too. :)

This video was posted on the Yahoo Ascot Owners Group & I was impressed with the simplicity & usefullness of the procedure displayed. Check it out & see if it doesn't help you repair some broken plastic sometime.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7GRNvPSf7k

Good luck
J.