Author Topic: How Fast Have You Ever Been On Your FT Ascot?  (Read 14326 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
How Fast Have You Ever Been On Your FT Ascot?
« on: April 03, 2014, 11:56:19 am »
As the title asks... How fast have you ever had your FT up to?

Please add any important additional information such as body weight & modifications to your bike.

I would like to get an idea of what is possible on various FT500 Ascots.

Thank you
J.

thumperdh

Re: How Fast Have You Ever Been On Your FT Ascot?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 12:09:05 pm »
A couple years ago I decided I wanted to go to bike week up in Daytona beach, about 90 highway miles from home at the time. I had joined a local rider forum online and was going to meet up with a group of people to ride there with. Little did I know that they were all sport bike guys so when I rolled up to the gas station on my little FT people didn't know what to think. My FT was bone stock with the exception of a bolt on spitfire windscreen and it was me (175lbs) and my then girlfriend (130lbs) riding with a group of superbikes for 90 highway miles at wide open throttle in fifth gear. I pretty much buried the needle on the speedometer for all 90 of those miles. I'd say actual top speed with no mods at all was around 76 or 78mph. We might have hit 80 while drafting one of the other bikes but I'm not too sure. When we pulled off the highway to the track the bike was making a strange pinging sound and I was sure I had killed it. But I let it sit for a few hours and had no issues.

However, we got back on the highway to go a little further north and I ran out of gas with only 105mi since my fill up. So be warned, you lose a lot of fuel economy and quick.

Would I ever do it again? Hell no. In retrospect it was foolish, but hey, I was 16 at the time. What do you expect.

Now I don't feel comfortable taking my bike over 60 mph for more than about a mile or two and that's with a larger countershaft sprocket, rejetted carb and full exhaust. It might have just been the windshield.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:12:02 pm »
See if you can find a Gas Station in your area that sells "clear premium" & run that. I have one Station in my area that sells the ethanol free "clear premium" & my air cooled bikes really like it. I also run 20-50W motorcycle specific oil such as Hondalube or Yamalube. A good oil is very important to an air cooled engine.

You really worked that bike & might have heard your bike detonating due to being hot & having a lower grade of fuel in it.

I can do 80+ on my FT with my 200lbs aboard quite easily. I don't know what its top speed is though.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 11:50:35 am »
ThumperDH,

Have you ever seen this web-site? http://www.buyrealgas.com

If not, check it out & see if there is a good Station near your home.

Anyone else out there ever go WFO on their FT500 to see what it would do?

Thanks
J.

blubro

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:57:04 pm »
WFO, huge tailwind, tucked; 83mph.  Nowhere near redline but all in.  All stock, untouched. 
Big smile.

WTF304

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:36:28 pm »
94 MPH ... with different sprockets, jets and other mods, and that was before altering the stock head pipes. The inner tube was busted loose on one side, now the exhaust is more open after cutting /extracting /welding but i haven't really gotten to ride much cause the season change. I still had more to go but when the bike weighs soo little and the wind gusts get pushy ... i didn't chance it

Diablita

• Helmets n' Heels
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:00:35 pm »
This little guy can really go! No speedo on my racer, so can't give you a number.  I've raced at NOLA, Barber, Willow Springs, Road America and Daytona, and kicked ass winning some regional titles in AHRMA, as well as almost winning Championship, and that was before the WiseCo race piston was installed. MegaCycle Race Cam only. Hawk front end, Hurricaine rear, Galfer lines, Ohlins rear shocks, Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, Jemco Exhaust, Bridgestone Tires, race gas, and 121lb rider.  7lbs = 1HP.  Will let you know if I can get a read on mph, going to take it out again soon. 
Helmet...check, Heels...check, Adventure Ready!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 04:48:25 pm »
That's a good looking Ascot!

Sounds like fun. Nice reminder on the tank to keep your head down.  ;D

J.

murdo

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 03:58:47 am »
 ;D

grcamna2

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 03:23:38 am »
This little guy can really go! No speedo on my racer, so can't give you a number.  I've raced at NOLA, Barber, Willow Springs, Road America and Daytona, and kicked ass winning some regional titles in AHRMA, as well as almost winning Championship, and that was before the WiseCo race piston was installed. MegaCycle Race Cam only. Hawk front end, Hurricaine rear, Galfer lines, Ohlins rear shocks, Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, Jemco Exhaust, Bridgestone Tires, race gas, and 121lb rider.  7lbs = 1HP.  Will let you know if I can get a read on mph, going to take it out again soon.

Nice  :)