Author Topic: Other VT500's ?  (Read 42587 times)

cdntfindanAscot

Other VT500's ?
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:21:47 pm »
Will you be welcoming other vt500's into the fold too?
I couldnt find an Ascot here in the UK so decided to build my own :)

The progress so far...

Nice clean looking site by the way  8)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Other VT500's ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:07:59 pm »
Very cool looking bike!

What was the base model? Looks like an Ascot engine.

I didn't include the Shadows because I don't know anything about them & figured that they already had a few forums to choose from. This forum is intended more for the "Street Tracker" type of bikes.

J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 06:00:50 pm »
Tis indeed an 'Ascot' motor. The bike is /was a 500 shadow, tail end removed and replaced and also extended forward a little to raise the back end of the tank about 4 inches in an attempt to get the bottom of the tank and new seat base in a straight line and parallel to the ground.
pics attached...

as it came out of the van

in with its stablemate

the point of no return

new subframe on and exhaust fabricated which sounds a bit nice and produces fire when cold  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FILTDK2OpNI

Gave the frame a coat of primer today so hopefully the frame will painted in the next few days.Then just got to decide on a colour for the tank etc , get some lights, switchgear etc, make some side panels, find an 18inch wheel ....... :D

cheers
Nev

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:32:37 pm by cdntfindanAscot »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:09 pm »
For some reason your pictures aren't showing up. It would be better if you used the forums picture feature at the bottom of the posting window.

That's an ambitious project & looks good.

J.

Dougie

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 07:53:13 am »
Interested to see how it turns out  :)

Keep us posted.

Was interested in using this frame myself to benefit from the potentally lower seat height that this frame will allow.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:23:28 am »
Interested to see how it turns out  :)

Keep us posted.

Was interested in using this frame myself to benefit from the potentally lower seat height that this frame will allow.

Probably worth pointing out that as well as the seat subframe being different the front fork rake is a bit more kicked out on the shadow frame than on the euro and (i imagine) the ascot - so it will be interesting to see how it handles in the bends  ???

Dougie

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:46 am »
Just slide the fork tubes through the yokes/triples to suit.

The tube length is much greater than the available station travel and wheel clearance to radiator.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:32:11 am »
Decisions decisions!

Got a temporary coat of pint on the frame now and trying do decide on side covers. So I got the card and duct tape out but I'm unsure - I think a 'full' triangle side panel may look a touch on the heavy side  :-\

Any opinions? Square, oval, triangle, other or naked?

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:34:04 am »
or oval # board?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 01:38:31 pm »
I think that the only way that naked would look good, is if there was only a UNI type of filter showing in the frame triangle. You would need to remove the airbox & hide the battery somehow.

I'm partial to the square number plate look, as that is the most Flat-Tracker looking.

The triangle filled in, with the oval added, looks real good, but I think the oval needs to be bigger, or lowered to match the top of the triangle & cover the top of the shock.

I think this bike has real nice side plates: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=13.0

J.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:43:42 pm by J6G1Z »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 01:50:31 pm »
By the way... What kind of rear-sets/foot-peg assembly are you using?

It looks like it fits real nice. What did it take to make it work?

Thanks
J.

Dougie

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »
Have to agree.

With the tank shape it lends itself to having no side panels at all.

You could use a gel battery to be relocated.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 03:24:32 pm »
hi J

I DO like the bike you pointed to and esp. the panels, I shall have a play tomorrow.  :)

the 'rear sets' are stock cbr600 (1990-ish) front pegs and hangers mounted in the rear peg holes of the shadow frame but dropped a bolt. The holes in the frame and the pegs allllllllmost line up but that would place the pegs a bit high (for me) so made a simple 6 x 1 inch strip of 3mm steel  with three holes in, so the top hanger bolt goes in the bottom frame hole.

gear rods aligned cut and welded together.

rear hub  brake arm turned upside down, brake rod bent  to fit and fixed to stock cbr brake pedal. as yet to be tested in anger  ;)

I will eventually try a uni type filter but apparently the vtwins are not too keen on them and take a lot of fettling, so for the mo its stock airbox etc til I get it on the road and fully functional and I'll mess with jetting and filters when I know the bike.

cheers
nev

So i take it gel batteries are smaller than std lead acid ones Dougie?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:55:40 pm by cdntfindanAscot »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »
That is a real clean mounting strap to mount those rear-sets. Super simple! 8)

J.

Dougie

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »
Gel batteries can be mounted on their side which helps give more options as to relocation.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2013, 01:56:12 pm »
Sneak Peak, waiting for numberboards...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2013, 02:45:38 pm »
That looks Bitchin'!!! 8)

Very cool color scheme. Can't wait to see it with the side panels on.

Keep up the great work!
J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 10:28:23 am »
Update: IT LIVES!!

Now fully taxed and tested, insured and on the road. All we need now is some sunshine (and one or two tweaks)

Whilst waiting for the numberboards I had a play with a bit of 6mm bar, some mesh and a friends Mig welder and I quite liked the result so got them powder coated (£10 :) ) Hence the mk 23 side panels and front number plate.

Just waiting for my front mudguard to come back from the shop now. Didnt really want one but after a ride on a damp road realise that they're not just for show  :o

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 10:54:57 am »
Man, That bike turned out sweet!

I have to admit that I didn't think a Shadow was ever going to look that good, but you have surprised me.

What little bugs do you have & how well does she run?

How about a pic of your temperature gauge & other instrumentation?

Great job!
J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 09:09:44 am »
cheer J

Seems to run just fine, taking it easy as it was mostly in boxes when i bought it so it has unknown reliability, Just the heating issue to look into - which may just be down to the fine tuning of the 'gauge'.

... I dont like the headlight. I have seen a number board with tiny lamps built in which would be on the list if they weren't so darned pricey, and the flush mount lights i can find here to make my own are all too deep, so its a work in progress :)

The original idea was no lights, speedo, mudguards etc but practicality and an inability to insure it for a reasonable cost have put paid to that. I've also just added a tiny bar end mirror for convenience - I'm getting too old for craning my neck round every two minutes  :(

I will add some more pics when i take 'em  :).

cheers
nev

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:48 pm »
Do you have an industrial thermometer, or a meat/candy thermometer that you can stick in the opened filler neck to check the temperature of the coolant while the bike is sitting still & idling, or at various throttle positions? You might have to place a piece of cardboard over the front of the radiator to block the airflow once the fan kicks on. Then you can check & adjust the set points of your digital temperature gauge.

I'm looking forward to seeing & hearing more about the bike as you get to know it better. How's the exhaust sound?

Good luck
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:28 pm »
10/10 great build, would ride.

8)
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 04:06:51 am »
Headlamp MK2.

Bought a strap on polisport enduro headlamp for the light fitting, a piece of 5mm acrylic from ebay, cut with a router and the top bent over (hot air gun) for the speedo mount, some vinyl from a friend (sign making business) the result is...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 12:12:46 pm »
Very clever & very cool! 8)

That bike looks real sharp!

What's going on with the side number plates? Have you settled upon a design yet?

Keep up the great work.
J.

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 06:16:24 pm »
Very clever & very cool! 8)

That bike looks real sharp!

What's going on with the side number plates? Have you settled upon a design yet?

Keep up the great work.
J.

I have the mesh ones (a few posts up) but after my recent top end rebuild and road testing left the panels off  just for convenience and the no panel look is growing on me, albeit a bit messy with the airbox and battery etc on show. After a few more road hours I think I am going to delve into trying out a pod type filter and if that works then will look into your earlier suggestion of the smaller mount anywhere batteries and empty the box/ battery area.