Author Topic: Ascot Street Tracker...  (Read 18518 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Ascot Street Tracker...
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »
http://roadkillcircus.blogspot.com/2011/04/honda-ascot-street-tracker.html

This season's transportation around Copenhagen is a stripped Honda VT500 Ascot with a few alterations. It's a 500cc water-cooled v-twin engine (2 in- and 1 ex-valve per cylinder) w/ 2 Keihin carbs producing 48 bhp of the production line. Yes! It's fun to ride.

Got rid off some excess cosmetics like signals, dashboard, a few blinking lights, huge headlight, front mudguard, huge billboard taillight etc. I modified the tail-bit around the seats and panels, built a new bracket for the tail light, and mounted an improvised rear mudguard. Also changed tires to Heidenau (rear) and Dunlop (Front), and added gaitors to the forks as I've been having continuous problems with the fork seals. I've redone the forks just recently, so they should be good for another 5000 km's. I hope.

On the front I put a bottom mounted Bates replica 4,5" headlight (a bit off center) along with a single simple very poorly lit speedometer (for dramatic effect). Handlebars are from an xt500 or similar trail bike...not sure - it was a gift from the Wrenchmonkees. There's a Sebring exhaust mounted now which I'll replace when I get an idea of how to re-jet the carbs appropriately. The front suspension is progressive forks currently using a 10w/20w fork oil mix (which is a bit on the soft side) and air-pressure of 5-10 psi which makes a big difference in the handling if not pressurized. Dual piston single disc front brake. Drum rear.

Rides very well, especially at RPM's about 5-7k. Great for city riding. Light and easy to maneuver.

I'm so ready for summer.

Lefty

Re: Ascot Street Tracker...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »
Stunning! I also am thinking about mounting dual purpose tires on my FT, I really like the look of your VT, very cool!
  So I just noticed you're in Denmark? I was wondering where you were from. My wife & I hope to visit your part of the planet within the next 5 years, I can not wait...............

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:17:02 am »
Stunning! I also am thinking about mounting dual purpose tires on my FT, I really like the look of your VT, very cool!
  So I just noticed you're in Denmark? I was wondering where you were from. My wife & I hope to visit your part of the planet within the next 5 years, I can not wait...............

Actually that is an article with pics that I found on the I'net.

I haven't really ridden either the FT or the VT Ascot in the dirt. I consider them to be street bikes & run Avon Road Riders (street tire) on them. The FT can probably do fairly well out in the mild dirt, I just didn't want to beat mine up & risk dumping it. If you really want to go out in the dirt, pick up a used Honda XR/XL, Suzuki DR, Kawasaki KLR, etc, if you are able and have a superior handling machine.

I'm located in the Pacific Northwest, USA.

J.

Lefty

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:13 pm »
Oh yeah, I agree the FT is not even close to a DP bike, I just love the look of knobbies/chunky tires on street bikes-

Donny026

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 04:08:41 pm »
im really curious about the tire sizes, does anybody know?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:16 pm »
Knobby tires do not belong on street bikes.

J.

murdo

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 02:27:15 am »
And if you have an accident with knobbies that are not DOT approved the insurance company will not allow a claim.