Author Topic: Pics Of My FT500 Ascot...  (Read 16111 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Pics Of My FT500 Ascot...
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:37:46 pm »
I finally broke the FT500 out of hybernation. I changed out the oil, filter & sparkplug. Then I installed my ThumperStuff Header & the Rick's CDI. The bike fired right up & was ready to go. Today I went for my traditional route (60 mile loop) and just had a great time! After two quick passes, I was able to break free from traffic & had my lane to myself. Even though I was trying to take it easy I still dragged my left footpeg once today. ;D I took a few pics of the turn around point for you guys to check out.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Pics Of My FT500 Ascot...
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »
Here's a couple more.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:45:31 pm »
It was another great ride on an unusually nice day! Bike ran great, I rode fairly well & the road conditions were near perfect. Just a well needed fun day. I hope you guys are all thawing out & having some nice spring weather. Let's see some pics of your bike and ride.

Good luck
J.

Lefty

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:46 pm »
WOW, that's a sharp looking '83, Are you running the stock muffler with the thumperstuff header? I'd like to see the other side of that beauty!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:14:24 pm »
Thank you.

I'm running the same Cobra F1 slip on muffler that I had on my stock down-pipes.

Here's a picture of the pipe side.

J.

Lefty

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:39:27 pm »
I love the look of that Cobra, it's pretty close to what I want my pipe to look like. Very nice, J6!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 10:06:23 am »
I love the look of that Cobra, it's pretty close to what I want my pipe to look like. Very nice, J6!

Thanks, it's not a bad looking muffler once the bright red "F1" stickers were removed. It has a nice sound, but the performance is not as good as the Super Trapp, or the other straight through type of mufflers. Plus they are rare & hard to find. I have a continuous eBay search for FT Ascot parts & this was the only Cobra muffler that I've seen in at least 3 years.

Good luck
J.

WTF304

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 08:53:13 pm »
Very clean, very well kept... i respect that. Very nice J6

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 09:02:12 am »
Thanks. It is a fairly low mile bike. Unfortunately it was stored in a car-port in the Northwest for some time. The top of the fuel tank was clouded over & whitish looking when I first bought it. I took a gamble on this first FT Ascot that I ever bought. It would not start when I went to check it out. It looked fairly clean other than the weathering & the seller seemed sincere, so I dragged it home. A new AGM type of battery & some new fuel, was all that she needed to start & run. Then I went to work with some McGuires fine cut polishing compound. That removed most of the milky looking paint. I then sealed it with a good wax. I have made a few modifications to the bike, but nothing permanent. I plan to keep this Ascot mostly original.

J.