Author Topic: Pipe choices for thumperstuff header  (Read 13309 times)

Lefty

Pipe choices for thumperstuff header
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:32:34 pm »
I've been searching, maybe I'm not using the best key words, I don't know. I've been looking at the Supertrapp SC series(black) which is  18" long with 1 3/4" inlet, and(I forgot the name, but it's polished stainless & tunable) another "racing" series pipe of theirs, which also is available with the acceptable inlet. Any suggestions are welcome, I like the options I've seen here on the site but none of them are really jumping out at me, what ever pipe I end up choosing I am going to have to fab/buy an adapter that'll make it as close to horizontal as possible. 
I'd appreciate any and all suggestions as to key words when searching, or pipes(used is OK with me) that might work.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Pipe choices for thumperstuff header
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:33:09 am »
You might try using "Header" or "Muffler" for search terms.

There are not many options out there in a way. You have the various reverse megaphone styles from EMGO. Then there are the Super Trapp offerings. There is also the possibility of locating a canister type of muffler from a Sports-Bike & adapting it to the Header pipe. You will most likely need to have a section of tubing fabricated that will connect the muffler to the Header outlet. Plus a bracket to mount & support the canister.

Good luck
J.

PS. Why do you want to mount the muffler/tail-pipe in a horizontal position vs. being up swept towards the rear?

Lefty

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:05:42 pm »
after doing some research & looking at many different shots of various bikes I think I'm good with an upswept look and I just bought the R/C standard Supertrapp muffler. I can hardly wait to get the header & the jets, looking forward to a little power gain.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:37 pm »
Good job! The ability to tune the Super Trapp muffler by adding/subtracting disks, makes it stand alone.

I'm sure that you will be pleased with it. Any idea if it has some form of universal mounting strap, or do you need to fabricate one?

Good luck
J.

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:51 pm »
Ill have to make a tab/strap at work, not too big a deal. I am excited as hell to get the header & the jets, the pipe may beat them here. I've also mounted a round head light, new bars & OE grips. I've been shopping like a mad man. I got the tail light I saw in your thread from CycleGear(not too sure how I'm going to mount it, have a couple ideas) and the flasher unit from SBL- I'm not so sure this is the route I'm going to go, but I've got them for perhaps another project down the road.
 What else, hmm. Oh yes, I ordered a pair of Progressive shocks(Ebay) because mine are clapped. Air filter foam as well, will do that & the carb once the jets & header arrive.
 Oh yeah, I meant to ask about the Rick's CDI. How do you like it? Is it worth getting?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:59:53 pm »
Oh yeah, I meant to ask about the Rick's CDI. How do you like it? Is it worth getting? 

Well I installed my Rick's CDI with the RPM limiter set at the lowest position. I've gone out on two rides since then & it functions flawlessly. I wasn't able to tell if there was any power difference because I changed the Pipe at the same time. I bought the Rick's CDI just to use & keep my OEM one as a spare. I was concerned that Rick may not make any more than the initial 200, so that's why I bought mine.

As far as worth buying a Rick's CDI or not...  I guess that depends upon you. Do you have a spare $100 or so (whatever they cost?) laying around to buy a new part to use & set your original aside as a spare? If you do, it's a nice option.

Good luck
J.

Lefty

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »
I actually have a spare that works, so I guess I'll spend that money on something else. Thanks for the reply.