Author Topic: Dutch FT project  (Read 160499 times)

FT500R

Re: Dutch FT project
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2020, 02:44:40 am »
As expected the kickstart does hit some of the standard FT parts.
If mounted correctly it hits the frame when folded in (little bit of rubber can protect the frame there).
It hits the brake pedal when you kick down on the kickstart and most importantly it hits the footpeg mounts.

With the footpeg and brake removed the bike kicks over very nicely so happy with that. If I clean up the carb and torque the head cover down I'm pretty confident I could start the bike.

For the footpeg issue I am looking to go for some rearsets (or bring a Hex-key with me wherever I go to reassemble the footpeg after starting  ;)). Will keep you posted.

triguyracer

« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2020, 02:36:16 pm »
You can move your pegs a bit by making new mounting plates, I made mine by tracing on a a piece or cardboard the outline of the stock ones that are somewhat triangle in shape and then making it out of alloy plate to get rid of the weight of the stock heavy castings and mounted them in the stock place, just needed to make a couple of spacers between the plate and frame, you could even use washers lol, you would have some room to move the foot peg to diff places depending on the size of the alloy plate you use ,I was just looking for simple ways to get rid of weight ,but you could also do the same and be able to move the pegs around a bit, I used simple alloy cheap folding foot pegs, cost was about 20 bucks and some elbow grease . Might help you in not having to spend a bunch on rearsets   

FT500R

« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2020, 04:45:27 am »
I was thinking of doing something similar too.
I still have some alloy plate laying around that I can experiment with, only downside is that I will also have to change the brake pedal which is a bit harder to relocate.
That or adapt some old (cheap) rearsets from a different bike.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »
Look at the footpeg mount for the XR/XL models; IIRC, it was a heavy steel piece that went straight forward, then out away from the motor, then back a bit, allowing the kick lever to pass between the peg and the motor.

FT500R

« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2020, 04:02:09 am »
Have one coming this way to test, problem with the XR/XL mount is the position on the frame is different and the brake leaver is completely different (FT hydraulic disk brake vs XL/XR rod operated drum brake)

FT500R

« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2020, 09:20:10 am »
Got some stuff in the mail today.
Better rockers and camshaft, will install these instead of my more worn original ones.

Some other parts to try and solve the footpeg problem.
XR500R brake pedal, tried to see what I could do with this but conclusion is this will never fit. The way it is bend is not working and the actuation of the brake is also completely different.
XR500S Footpeg and brake pedal.
Tried to fit the XL500S parts but it will be very hard to use them.
I might be able to use the footpeg holder but that would move the footpeg quite a lot forward and down, even further reducing the ground clearance and I don't have a solution for the brake pedal yet.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #181 on: June 05, 2020, 03:17:51 pm »
As expected the kickstart does hit some of the standard FT parts.

Here are some pics of a tubular kicker that was fabricated for an RD project. Might provide some ideas.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »
Couple more.

FT500R

« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2020, 09:47:14 am »
Ooooohhhh YEaaahhh.
It took a total of 4 kicks and there she roars!!!

https://youtu.be/WffnD3540Wo

Really happy that she starts so easily.
There is a slight tapping sound from the cilinder head so will have to check the valve clearance apart from that she seems to run very smooth!
Still need to figure out the footpeg situation but at least the bike starts again.
The new stator works like a charm, really have a very nice and strong spark.
Funny to be able to start the bike without a battery in it.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2020, 10:22:10 am »
I once owned an XR400 & a XR600. They both had a small compression release lever on the handlebars. This was my starting procedure. I would slowly move the kicker through its range of motion until the engine began the compression stroke. I would use the compression release to allow me to rotate the engine to just past peak compression. Then I would kick it. Be careful with those tennis shoes. If the engine kicks back you might end up limping for a few days. Glad to see that it works.

murdo

« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2020, 04:30:42 am »
I see you have the decompression cable cable working so surprised to see it kick back.

FT500R

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2020, 04:39:39 am »
Turns out the valve clearance was way off.
I set it with the engine on the bench but apparently I've set it incorrectly.
Re-adjusted it yesterday and the bike runs really good now!

Was also able to properly adjust the decompression now and there is zero kick back.