Author Topic: Rear brake caliper  (Read 10618 times)

Tjft500

Rear brake caliper
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:24:34 pm »
I'm a newbie so bare with me, I just picked up an 83 ft , my rear caliper is frozen solid!!! Is there another caliper that I can swap out cause I can't seem to find a stock one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
Re: Rear brake caliper
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:11:09 am »
The stock calipers can often be "un-frozen", cleaned, and returned to service. To remove the stuck pistons, pump them out using the master cylinder if it is still connected and working. One piston will always move before the other, so you will have to use some sort of a shim to prevent that piston from popping out of the bore, which will bleed off all pressure. An alternative method is to use a grease-gun to pump the pistons out. The threaded end of the tube where the zerk adapter screws on will just barely thread into the 10mm hole on the caliper; only one or two threads worth, so be careful not to pull those threads out. I've never seen a caliper so stuck the grease-gun couldn't get the pistons out. ;D

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:07:59 pm »
If worse comes to worse & you are not able to un-stick your original rear brake caliper. I think I have one laying around here. It's not perfect from what I recall. It was on a bike that was dumped on its right side & the brake caliper has some asphalt grind on it. If you are interested, I'd let it go cheap.

Good luck
J.

PS. I've heard that there are other calipers that interchange. Unfortunately, I don't know what they are.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:17:41 pm »

PS. I've heard that there are other calipers that interchange. Unfortunately, I don't know what they are.
I checked using an on-line cross-reference, and the caliper itself was also used on:
CB1100F '83
CB900F '81-'82
CB750F '81-'82
CBX '81-'82

Tjft500

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:30:12 am »
Thanks everyone this info has been very helpful

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »
If worse comes to worse & you are not able to un-stick your original rear brake caliper. I think I have one laying around here. It's not perfect from what I recall. It was on a bike that was dumped on its right side & the brake caliper has some asphalt grind on it. If you are interested, I'd let it go cheap.

Good luck
J.

I checked my small pile of parts & do indeed have a rear brake caliper for an FT Ascot. It has 3 or 4 scratches on it that could be colored in with a Sharpie. Still has the brake line attached to it & is still "wet" inside with brake fluid. If you have any interest.... I'm open to offers.

Good luck
J.