Author Topic: Gear Reviews and Recommendations  (Read 11460 times)

thumperdh

Gear Reviews and Recommendations
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:45:33 pm »
Anybody have recommendations on good gear? I'm in the market for a new pair of gloves, preferably under $80, short cuff and with good ventilation.

I'm currently using...

Icon Twenty Niner
Price: $35 at local dealership

Style: 3/5
If thin style MX inspired gloves are your thing, these are for you. If fingerless cruiser gloves or carbon knuckled kangaroo hide gauntlets are more your speed, look elsewhere.

Durability: 1/5
I returned my first pair to the dealership because they developed a small hole in the stitching on the right palm. Earlier this week I discovered my new pair has developed a pretty big hole on the stitching of the right thumb. Not really satisfied here.

Comfort: 4/5
I love these gloves, they are very thin and flow tons of air due to mesh backs.

Protection and durability: 2/5
The only reason I give these a 2 here is one point for durability (kinda cheap) and one point for protection. They offer rubberized finger guards and a gel like knuckle pad. Apart from that the leather on the palm is very thin (think slightly thicker than Mechanix wear) and I don't think they would fair too well in a crash. They may protect your hands from a skid but I wouldn't expect to re wear them.

Air flow: 5/5
Love em. Nothing more to say.

Features: 2/5
Ehhhhhh, nothing to write home here. Like I said, they are really only a step up from Mechanix wear or MX gloves. Better than nothing.

Bang for your buck: 3/5
For $35 it's better than nothing. If you don't like gloves this may be your perfect into pair. They are thin enough and flow enough air to give you almost a naked feel and are a hell of a lot better than a skin graft.

Sizing:
A little small. I'm typically a large in gloves with a few rare exceptions. I may have sized them too small, causing them to tear.

Would I recommend them?
Yes. Although mine did tear from manufacturing defects, my room mates pair is perfectly fine considering we purchased them at the same time. The tear in mine could just be from me not knowing how big my paws are anymore.

What's everyone else riding with and how do you like it? Helmets, jackets, pants, boots, gloves, anything.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Gear Reviews and Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:53:46 am »
Can't really help you with a glove recommendation.

I would like to point out a handy winter addition to your gloves though. Have you ever been in the military or a military supply store? Are you familiar with the white cotton glove liners? They're real handy in the cold to keep your hands warm without adding a bunch of bulk.

Last winter I bought some of the "Freeze Out" clothing from Cycle Gear. I bought the shirt, pants, booties & glove liners. I only used the gear on two outings, but it seams to really works well. Here is a link to the gloves available from Cycle Gear.

I also like the products & gear available from MSR or Malcolm Smith Racing: http://www.msrmx.com
This guy has been in the motorcycle game since about the 60's or earlier. His stuff is real high quality, well made gear.

Good luck
J.