Author Topic: front brake pad replacement  (Read 9263 times)

Joe D.

front brake pad replacement
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:55:15 pm »
So I need to replace the pads and I have never done this before. I have the Clymer manual and should I just follow the directions? Any tips or suggestions? Thank you for your replies.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: front brake pad replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 05:22:41 pm »
I'm not familiar with the Clymer manual any longer, but I think it is fairly reliable from what I do recall.

I have not done a brake pad swap on a VT Ascot yet. I'm in the process of doing the brakes on my FT/CBR hybrid. It's not that difficult of a job. Usually about the hardest part is removing the pins that retain the pads. Make sure you spread the old pads as far apart as possible before you remove them. That will make things easier during reassembly.

Do you already have the replacement pads? Usually you have a choice between metallic/semi-metallic, or organic. The metallic pads usually offer some better braking performance, but they wear down the disks a bit faster. I used to run the metallic pads, but have lately started using organic pads after having to buy some disks.

Do you have any high temperature anti-seize? I like to apply a very small amount to the pins that retain the brake pads. Just a finger smear is all. You don't want any excess to drip onto your braking surfaces.

It's nice to have about a 12" to 18" length of 4"x4" to stand up & support the calipers instead of dangling from their brake lines. Don't let them hang from the lines. You should replace your front brake line if you can afford to. The rubber is pretty old by now. Those braided stainless steel brake lines are worth buying. The front line usually runs about $55 on eBay.

Jump into it. Just make sure you pay attention to how the parts come apart & lay them out in the correct order. Then put it back together. Easy. ;D

Good luck
J.

Bucko

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:17:21 pm »
When installing new pads, as mentioned, you need to push the pistons back in their bores to make room for the new thicker pads.  This will force brake fluid back up into the reservoir, which if maintained properly, will already be full or nearly full.  This means the reservoir will over flow (you need to remove the cap when installing new pads).  DON"T LET BRAKE FLUID TOUCH ANYTHING PAINTED!!!!  Brake fluid will remove paint almost instantly so be sure to cover everything painted with rags (especially your tank) and, preferably, remove some fluid from the reservoir before you retract the pistons so that it doesn't overflow.

Joe D.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 10:47:24 pm »
Everything went well and they seemed better when I took her out for a test ride. I went to check the brake fluid through the viewing port and I believe the line is above the lower level. Should it be completely full?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:19:32 am »
No, you don't want it completely full. There needs to be some room for the fluid to expand when it gets hot.

J.