Author Topic: Newbie! First Motorcycle & It's an Ascot!  (Read 9718 times)

Mshawnbauer

Newbie! First Motorcycle & It's an Ascot!
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:25:48 pm »
Got it last fall, just got her registered and started riding.  Fun Bike! Comfortable riding position, perfect for around town, to work and back trips, etc.  Runs like a champ. I went and bought a black, vintage style open face helmet to match, polished up the paint, and cleaned her up a bit, oiled and tightened the chain and BAM!  Next up is an aftermarket exhaust and round headlight and whatever else I can do to make her stand out a bit more and add a little uniqueness (stay tuned) ! 8)

thumperdh

Re: Newbie! First Motorcycle & It's an Ascot!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 04:49:42 pm »
Very cool, welcome to the club. Sharp little ascot you got there.

As for modifications be sure to check out our Essentials for the FT500 The increase in main and slow speed carb jets really wakes up the timid little FT motor.

As for exhaust the fan favorite right now is the Thumperstuff header with your choice of aftermarket muffler.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie! First Motorcycle & It's an Ascot!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:41:13 am »
Welcome to the board. Nice looking bike you have there.

Make sure you check out the "stickeys" in the First Generation Ascot Tech Section. You should change your jetting to richen up the mix & then change your countershaft sprocket to a 16 tooth. That is a nice little boost.

As far as the exhaust. There is only one after-market performance header out there. It is offered by ThumperStuff. Then you need to decide upon the muffler/tail pipe section of the exhaust. The least expensive that I'm aware of are the reverse megaphones offered by EMGO. Next up would probably be a Sports-Bike cannister type of muffler. If you have the extra cash, then look at Super-Trapp. If your bike is all stock & you don't plan to modify the engine, you can get away with retaining the stock head-pipes (if they are in good condition) & just install a different muffler. That's what I'm running on one of my Ascots.

These are fun & fairly simple bikes. They respond well to minor modifications & are easy to work on.

Good luck
J.