Author Topic: After market foot pegs?  (Read 18214 times)

Jaimo!

After market foot pegs?
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:35:04 am »
I have recently purchased a 1984 VT500 "fixer-upper", my first concern was getting it up and running, safe and legal.  Now it is time for the smaller issues.  I am interested in some of the inexpensive aftermarket foot pegs found on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Footrests-Foot-Pegs-For-HONDA-CBR000-F-91-96-VTR250-97-10-CBR1100XX-99-06-/251349342870?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item3a85969a96&vxp=mtr

--OR--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170955120790&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Or if anyone has any recommendation on another type of foot peg, I'd be very interested to hear.

Thanks,
Jaimo!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: After market foot pegs?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:26:13 am »
I like the first set better. They're located in the USA instead of China. Probably still made in China though. No telling if they will fit without modification. It has been a long time since I've seen a VT foot-peg assembly. I know that RAASK makes a pair of rear-sets for the FT500 Ascot, but I'm not sure about the VT500 Ascot.

I modified my foot-pegs on my FT500 by cutting off the old peg until it was just a stub that hinged in the foot-peg mount. Then I welded a set of dirt bike pegs to the stub. This raised the bottom of the pegs about an inch higher than the original pegs for better ground clearance in the turns.

Whatever you do... You want to maintain the pivoting feature in case you touch a peg to the ground while leaning through a turn. You want that peg to pivot up & out of the way instead of digging in to the asphalt.

Good luck
J.

Jaimo!

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:18:50 am »
Thanks for the help J6D1Z...  Why did you put motorcross pegs on the FT500?  Adventure riding?

Jaimo!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:16 am »
Thanks for the help J6G1Z...  Why did you put motorcross pegs on the FT500?  Adventure riding?

Jaimo!

Just personal preference & they were easy to modify. The bike has been lowered about 2+ inches due to using CBR600 forks & wheels so I was looking for improved ground clearance for cornering. If these pegs still hit in the corners, I have a pair of rear-sets from a GSXR600 that I will adapt to the frame. Here is the post on my bike build so far: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=79.0

Good luck
J.

Dougie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 06:34:02 am »
I tried footpegs like the first ones pictured but the angle was wrong.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:03:53 am »

That's good to know. Those pegs look nice, its too bad they don't fit.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:14:07 am »
Hey there Jaimo!,

Do you know if there is a Motorcycle Recycler or Salvage business in your area? If so, you might want to remove one of your pegs & take it with you to the Recycler. Then check out the Foot-Peg bin & see if you can find one that is close, or that you can modify by either grinding down, or bushing up, the difference. The other options are to do what I did, or adapt another bikes pair of Rear-Sets. Check out what this member has done with a pair of CBR Rear-Sets. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=25.msg163#msg163 

Good luck & please let us know what you come up with.
J.

Jaimo!

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:46:16 am »

Thanks Dougie, Just what I was looking for...  Sort of, I wish that they fit.  but, you sharing your first hand knowledge is greatly appreciated.

J, I'm not aware of any motorcycle salvage companies in my area, but I'll look some more.  There's always "the bay" and the originals show up time to time.

Jaimo!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 10:04:37 am »
Are your original pegs chewed up? Is it just the rubber part, or is the steel part bent up also?

I can't recall what VT500 pegs look like any longer. If they're anything like the FT500 pegs, you can take the rubber piece off & there is a steel tube inside that allows for any number of modifications.

I just used this product on a piece of steel that is part of my battery box: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip 
If you follow the directions, it works great. I recommend that you allow it to dry overnight though before you dip the part again or the coating might sag.

Good luck
J.

Dougie

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 06:14:06 am »
I remember now the ones I bought were for a VFR 800 Honda

cdntfindanAscot

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »