Author Topic: FT500 Cylinder Removal  (Read 13116 times)

Slyphon

FT500 Cylinder Removal
« on: August 04, 2014, 01:34:42 am »
I'm hoping to get some help removing the cylinder. I have removed the Cylinder head cover already, I have removed the two side bolts, the front and back nuts, and the lower automatic tensioner bolt as indicated in the diagram I found in the Service Manual. The Cylinder will still not budge. I have pulled on it with and tried to pry it with no avail. I am assuming there must be some bolts I am missing, but cannot for the life of me find them. I have taken both the left crank case, an right crank cases off to search for hidden bolts but see none.

Thank you

Lefty

Re: FT500 Cylinder Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:58:03 am »
I would think the service manual whether it's Clymer or Honda would give good detailed information on cylinder removal.
I'll take a look at my Honda service manual & see what I can find.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 05:49:35 pm »
Howdy just removed mine.
Tried some bongo persuasion with a rubber mallet... didnt budge, then postioned a scraper between the barrell & case on a corner a sharp tap with a hammer, and it popped free.

Slyphon

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:33:09 pm »
I just bought a rubber mallet to try banging it today.

When you say you positioned a scraper between the barrel and case, what exactly do you mean? I tried positioning a screw driver on the outside of the cylinder, and tapping it with a hammer... didn't work.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 08:31:20 pm »
I think he meant that he forced a scraper blade into the base gasket area & it broke free.

J.

Slyphon

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:46:20 pm »
Oh, ya I tried wedging a razor blade in there, but couldn't event get that in there. The Rubber Mallet ended up doing it, I banged at each of the corners and sides and it lifted. Finally at the end of my tear down, now to inspect parts an determine what needs to be replaced.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:00:34 am »
I think he meant that he forced a scraper blade into the base gasket area & it broke free.
J.

Quite right.

Only other issue I had removing it was, the chain tensioner had come unbolted at some stage.  I couldnt rotate the chain to remove one of the rocker sprocket bolts. Had to split the chain. After that all good.

Slyphon

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 10:56:15 am »
The service manual says to remove the timing cap. It never really tells you why, but I believe the intent is that you will rotate the chain with a wrench threw this hole. My timing cap is stuck on so I removed the whole left cranks case and rotated that way. Not sure if it mattered or helped, but I put it in neutral as well. Some pliers will assist in putting it in neutral is the engine is out, just be sure not to damage the threads. Of course this is all needless information for you, but hopefully it will assist the next guy.

Lefty

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 06:26:20 pm »
Pliers=stripped splines...