Author Topic: Cam chain tensioner wedge  (Read 9055 times)

Jes28

Cam chain tensioner wedge
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:25:08 pm »
Reading the manual it says, if the "B wedge" is up more than 9mm, the cam chain is worn and needs to be replaced. It also says to pull the "A wedge" up, and stick a pin in it to relieve the tension to get the chain off. My problem is, the B wedge is all the way up, and the A wedge is all the way down. I can't figure out how to pull the A wedge up. Can someone help?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Cam chain tensioner wedge
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:59 am »
Hey there Jes28,

I'm not familiar with the procedure that you are attempting. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in here.
If not, you might try the Yahoo FT Ascot Owners Group. That forum has a been around a bit longer & has a few more members.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/info

Good luck
J.

Slyphon

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:00:19 am »
First and foremost, verify that you have correctly identified wedge A and Wedge B. Wedge A has a slant on it and is farthest from the cam chain.

My wedge A was completely beneath the tensioner and couldn't be grabbed by pliers. If you remove the two bolts holding the automatic tensioner in place completely, this will allow the tensioner to move freely and wedge a to naturally come up. I was then able to get the clip in to the very small hole. I'm not sure if it was necessary or not, but I then pushed the tensioner back in to place and refastene the bolts to hold it in place.

Hope that helps!

Jes28

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:16:43 am »
That was very helpful, thank you. I'm still a little confused about why it keeps retracting all the way down when it looks like it should stick up a little. My next problem is locating cam valves.