Author Topic: Choke cables  (Read 14107 times)

2fast2young

Choke cables
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:39:08 am »
Saw this question come up in another thread, just wanted to let everyone know:

Choke cables from the Euro VT500 E sub model will drop in and work just fine on our FT's.

Yes, you have to get them from the UK (pretty easy on Ebay) and postage is a hair more, but they work!

Elliot

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Choke cables
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:41:40 am »
That's good to know. Thank you for doing the research or taking the chance on ordering one. I remember that old topic from a few months back.

J.

Bucko

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 12:57:38 am »
Refresh my memory....

On the ascot, it's more of an 'enrichener' than a true choke, right?

And, the single cable connects to a dual cable splitter/puller to provide one cable to each carb? or am I thinking of something else?

2fast2young

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:31:06 am »
Bucko, I'm not sure how much effect the choke circuit has, I haven't been inside these carbs yet. You are correct, single line at the bar to a split into each carb.

I think I picked mine up for about $30, maybe $12 shipping, so not horrible.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:51 am »
I'm no expert on VT carbs, but I believe the choke is actually an "enrichener" that adds additional fuel vs. reducing the air flow. My bike starts & warms up much better when I use the "choke". I'm assuming that the VT carbs are probably leaned out at low speeds as much as possible to pass USA emissions requirements. That's why an additional squirt of fuel is often required to start.

J.

Bucko

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 02:41:40 am »
My bike is a bit of an oddball in that I never need to use the choke no matter how cold it is out.  I had a bit of trouble starting it in the early days as I was always using the choke and it would never start right.  Once I figured out not to use the choke, it's started first tap every time.  Makes me think someone has gone in and 'played' with the carbs.  I have a spare set of carbs in very nice shape ready to go in when the time comes but for now, I just keep riding it.

Dibingo

• Pro V2-HONDA
    • V2-Honda (France)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 08:03:52 pm »
On the ascot, it's more of an 'enrichener' than a true choke, right?

I'll confirm you tomorrow, but in my memory, the choke orders a small channel in front of the carburetor which takes advantage of the venturi effect.
So you have air and carburant(essence) there.

And, the single cable connects to a dual cable splitter/puller to provide one cable to each carb? or am I thinking of something else?

Right.

Note here, that on the VT, there is no needle on the diver. Here :

http://www.v2-honda.com/

The French Forum.

Bucko

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:54:57 pm »
I'm not clear how it works.  Does the spring push against the plug with the needle on it keeping an orifice closed and when you pull the choke cable it pulls the plugs/needles back against the spring, opening up the orifice?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 09:06:49 am »
I have not messed with a choke on a VT Ascot yet. From what little that I do know... I believe the needle & orifice is normally closed. The VT Ascot doesn't really have a normal "choke". It has a fuel enriching circuit. When you operate the choke lever it adds more fuel vs. restricting the airflow.

Good luck
J.

Woodguy

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 05:36:36 am »
thanks for the ( UK ) tip,, and pictures..

Has anybody ordered these cables yet?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:51 am »
thanks for the ( UK ) tip,, and pictures..

Has anybody ordered these cables yet?

Not that I recall. If you live near a good sized city, you should be able to find someone who can make you a new cable. Just take the complete old one & have them copy it. I believe that Motion Pro will do custom cables through the mail.

Good luck
J.