Author Topic: replacement starter relay  (Read 9572 times)

FT500R

replacement starter relay
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:03:28 am »
Hi guys,

My original starter relay has finally fallen appart. I've redone the connection points somewhere around 20 times and now it burns in every time I start and the whole assembly keeps falling apart.

What is a good alternative for the starter relay? it can be anything from a cars to a boats or an aftermarket motorcycle one.

cheers.
Paul

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: replacement starter relay
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:14:19 am »
Here is a link to the starter section in the "FILES" section of the Yahoo FT Ascot Owners Group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/files/Starter%20Issues/
Sometimes I have problems opening some of those FILES. You have to just keep clicking on it, or come back later & try it again.

Good luck
J.

PS. Let me know if you can't access that info.

Slyphon

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:59:23 pm »
Are you talking about the Starter Solenoid Relay? I've seen a couple on ebay / amazon for $10-20.

Lefty

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »
Can you be more specific? Are you talking about an actual relay, or is it the solenoid, or parts between the solenoid and the starter motor?

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:47:27 pm »
I'm also confused about what part you are talking about. Honda didn't make it easy on the FT, as there are 3 relay/solenoids. The part that is traditionally referred to as a "solenoid" is labeled "starter relay switch" in the manual, and the starter solenoid is the part that locks in the starter gear. The solenoid relay switches the solenoid. Confused yet? Both the starter relay switch and the solenoid relay would be easy to find substitute parts for, but the "starter solenoid" might be a challenge.
A picture would help...   

FT500R

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:57:29 am »
I'm talking about the starter relay, the one that triggers the starter motor and is connected to the positive lead of the battery.
I've found a substitute from a cbr1000 that is a lot cheaper than an original and I think I can make it work.

cheers Paul