Author Topic: Brake pedal return spring  (Read 11133 times)

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

Brake pedal return spring
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:34:51 am »
Brake pedal return spring:
Not sure if I'm missing something here, a bit puzzled?
Does the spring ID & the pedal shaft OD have a sleeve insert betweeen them?
The spring's very sloppy on there, and I can see no signs of wear from the spring on the shaft at all.

I'm pretty sure this bike had been pulled apart & hastily reasembled, starting to discover little pieces missing here & there.
 All good though, cheers

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake pedal return spring
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:38:16 am »
I just took a quick peek underneath my original FT Ascot & the spring looks oversized like in your picture. I don't think you are missing anything.

You could always try to bring up an exploded parts diagram on Bike Bandit. Have a look at:
www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1982-honda-ascot-500-ft500c/o/m151788#sch409665

Good luck
J.

PS. You may want to smear a light coating of anti-sieze or grease on that shaft under the spring.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:27:16 pm »
I just took a quick peek underneath my original FT Ascot & the spring looks oversized like in your picture. I don't think you are missing anything.

You could always try to bring up an exploded parts diagram on Bike Bandit. Have a look at:
www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1982-honda-ascot-500-ft500c/o/m151788#sch409665

Good luck
J.

PS. You may want to smear a light coating of anti-sieze or grease on that shaft under the spring.

Thanks for the looky see J.
The partsfiche dosn't show any extra parts there.. so I guess thats it.

Right on with the grease! I'll be sandblasting and painting undercarriage parts before long, then I may sleeve the spring.
The split pin shaft on the brake plunger is a bit sloppy too, so I'd like to tighten it all up.

Being that dirtroads & vintage MX is in her future, "the tighter the better", as the actress said to the Bishop  ;)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19:24 pm »
You plan to take an Ascot off road? I don't know about that. Think you'd be better off with an XR or an XL. The Ascot is more street oriented, even if it does look like a Flat Tracker.

Good luck
J.

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:37:59 pm »
Yup.. I know what your saying, I've been riding a TR6 in vintage MX, but I've just smashed the old girl up too much now, and a bit of reliability gamble.

I'll adapt the FT as well as I can, wheels suspension...  The other purpose is getting up into the mountains, usally a 150~400klms one way to hunt down old ghost towns, roads go from grown over hardtop to walking tracks, so I see this as a multi purpose. The only thing niggling at me is the rake, but I'll see how it goes.

Rebuilt the motor so no turning back now  ;)

Update;
I used the nylon off a weight roller ( Honda MF02 25grm )
cut 1/4" out and its nice and snug.

Cheers, Neil