Author Topic: Swing Arm Pivot Bolt Removal  (Read 10511 times)

Slyphon

Swing Arm Pivot Bolt Removal
« on: August 26, 2014, 01:33:49 am »
Is there any "trick" to remove the Swing Arm Pivot Bolt? I took off the nut and started banged away on it, but it would not budge. It seems to spin around fine but will not come out. I'm thinking the pivot bolt might be seized to the inner bearing. I sprayed some PB Blaster down there and will let it sit until tomorrow.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Swing Arm Pivot Bolt Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:22:37 am »
I don't think there are any tricks. Never pulled one out yet. Don't beat on the end of the bolt unless you thread the nut back on to protect the threads. You are most likely correct in that it is seized in place. I had trouble removing my rear axle once. I used some foaming Liquid Wrench & let it sit over night. Luckily that did the trick for me.

Do you have a small torch that you could add some heat to the bolt. That will make it expand & probably stick worse, but when it cools it might contract enough to let the penetrating oil into the area that is stuck. Once you get it out. Smear a light coating of anti-seize or grease on the bolt to prevent it from happening again.

Good luck
J.

Slyphon

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:56:58 am »
No torch. But I think I'm close to finally investing in one.

I'll let the pb blaster soak in a bit longer and then try again today. I was mostly worried about breaking some thing or other. I'll give it some harder whacks now.

In other news, the rear CBR wheel fits! It's a close fit right now, but I think that because of the wheel placement. I'll have to wait to see how it turns out when it's all back together. *note the wheel was just on to test fitting, and I removed it before trying to remove the swingarm.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:47 am »
I have one of those screw on torches that fit on a propane bottle. I've never tried it for anything other than warming parts. They are pretty cheap & do the job most of the time.

Did you ever wonder, what was Honda thinking, when they decided upon the Hurricane wheel colors? Mine were a homely crayola blue color that had been rattle canned flat black. I had them powder coated an aluminum color & think they look nice now. I wish I had spent some time grinding them smooth in a few places though. Maybe on the next set of wheels.

Good luck
J.

Slyphon

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »
I actually like the color of these wheels. I am changing the color scheme for my bike now because of it...

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:13:30 pm »
Well that's good. :-[ ;D  That will save you $100-$150 or so. Mine were really pukey looking. It was almost a flat color. I usually like blue, but they just wouldn't work.

J.

Slyphon

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
Just an update. Got the pivot bolt about but it took some serious banging. That bolt will be getting cleaned and anti-siezed for sure!