Author Topic: Throttle cables  (Read 11496 times)

Iainhugh

Throttle cables
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:43:42 am »
At the end of last year when I was out on my ft the throttle cables went all stiff I managed to limp it home and they were red hot and melted. I thought it was because they were almost touching  the top of the engine.  I went to start it today with all the new parts I've recently fitted ,bigger jets included I noticed a wiff of smoke and put it down to the manifold wrap but it was the throttle cable again. This time only one. It's no where near the engine.  I'm thinking it must be electrical as it got hot straight away. I routed the two throttle cables down different sides of head stock. But what could it be touching to melt them ???
Cheers
Iain
Scotland

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Throttle cables
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 12:26:04 pm »
Iain,

You have a mystery on your hands. I guess the first thing I would do is remove the side panels, seat & fuel tank, then start looking at everything that is exposed. Sounds like you have a hot lead that has the insulation worn through. Shouldn't be too hard to find. If all else fails, turn the lights off in the garage & turn on the bikes electrical system, start moving the handlebars & look for sparks. ;D

Good luck
J.

Iainhugh

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »
Thanks j
Before it was both cables that melted but since I've renewed them one was slightly longer so put it down other side of head stock.  I know it's the cable I didn't re route so should make it a bit easier !!
Bit dissapointing after all the work I've just done. Re oiled the front forks .. What a difference they feel a lot stiffer. Swing arm off cleaned and painted list goes on.
It's a bare bones bike so the tank will come of easy without having to remove seat
I'll report back with my findings or confusment
Cheers
Iain
Scotland

Iainhugh

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 03:29:07 pm »
Right I took the tank of just now and had a good look at cable and it's melted right through the plastic on one part only and that is where it's touching the back of the horn.  What's happening ? Do I need to just move the cable was from horn.

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 06:08:24 pm »
If it wasn't touching both horn terminals was it maybe touching one and grounding out else where?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:10:09 pm »
I'm not sure what to tell you, as I can't see what's going on.

You are going to have to find where the electrical contact is taking place & insulate that area.

J.

Iainhugh

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 12:30:26 am »
There is a small screw/bolt on the back of the horn and it is touching this. Although I can do most things ,sorting out wiring isn't one of them. At least it was easy to find where the problem lies
Iain
Scotland

Iainhugh

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 06:17:20 am »
I finally managed to sort this problem out . The starter relay was the problem In the end . When I pulled on the choke the mechanism on carb end was touching the live side straight of the battery . Making the whole carb live and the cable was finding a ground On the back of the horn.
I've out a new relay I got of eBay and it's smaller and is mounted with the terminals facing forward. Bike runs fine now. No more melted cables.
Iain Hugh
Scotland

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:31:48 am »
Good job! What an odd electrical problem to have. That one would be difficult to trouble shoot.

J.