Author Topic: Installing new springs  (Read 7535 times)

Lefty

Installing new springs
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:16:03 pm »
My springs are shot-I'm getting replacements, are they pretty cut and dry to do? Just center stand the bike, get the weight off the front & remove the caps & install the new springs?

- I'd look in a manual, but I dont have mine with me, I'm moving.

Iainhugh

Re: Installing new springs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 12:40:15 am »
I've just changed the oil in my forks. I had taken the forks off the bike. There will be a heap of sludge and dirt in bottom so best take them off and rinse them out with some diesel etc. mind and let them dry if using diesel. The difference in my forks now with new oil and 10psi of air is night and day
Iain
Scotland

Lefty

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:32 am »
Oh, 10 psi? Haha, for some reason I thought it was 3-5 psi.
I'll add more air & see how it feels.
I replaced the fork seals 3 years ago when I first bought the bike,I cant remember the inner parts.
I'm sure once I get the springs I'll figure it out.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 11:39:25 am »
I think it's fairly straight forward. You might want to loosen the upper triple clamp pinch bolts to make it easier to remove the fork cap/plug.

I used to run 10psi in my VT Ascot forks, back when I had a low pressure fork pump. I either misplaced the pump, or gave it away because I can no longer find it. You don't want to use an air compressor to fill your forks or you may blow the fork seals. I would use a bicycle hand pump, or at least crank down the pressure on your compressor to no more than 10psi. There is not much air volume inside the fork, so it doesn't take long to over shoot your goal.

J.

PS. I tried to warn a friend of mine not to fill his forks at a gas station once. He didn't believe me & topped off his forks to whatever pressure he was looking for. Not long afterwards both his fork seals were blown.