Author Topic: Oil Temperature Gauge For $75  (Read 10654 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Oil Temperature Gauge For $75
« on: August 27, 2014, 08:20:38 pm »
In the name of science, I have decided to install an oil temperature gauge on my Ascot. Below are the three items required to monitor your oil temperature. The third item (handlebar mount) could be considered optional, if you have a flat spot where you can use the adhesive tape.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/temperature/72-es1

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/accessories/oil-temp-sensor-adapter-m12x1-5

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/tto-accessories/handlebar-mount-kit-for-tto

The kit looks like it is as basic as they come. Replace the drain plug with the adapter & the temperature probe. Run your wires & mount your gauge. This gauge is very simple & includes a high temperature memory. I have another one of these Trail Tech TTO gauges on another bike monitoring the Cylinder Head Temperature. They are nice little gauges. I’ll let you all know what I find out on my temperature readings. If anyone knows of an equivalent, or better gauge, please post it up so we can check it out.

Thanks
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Oil Temperature Gauge For $75
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:41:17 pm »
I received a package from Trail Tech today.  8)

All the parts look great, but there are a couple of problems. If anyone else is considering buying one of these oil temperature gauge set-ups, you might want to hold off for a bit. The sending unit wire isn't long enough to make it from the bottom of the engine to the handle bars. Plus it looks like I might have received the wrong adapter plug. Unfortunately I won't be able to do anything about it until Monday.

That's all that I have to report at this time.
J.

Woodguy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:20:49 am »
so that will mean you have to unscrew and pull out the wire every time you change the oil on the engine?  wont that get kind of messy?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:30:22 am »
The wire has a junction box so it can be separated from the gauge. I'm hoping that I can just disconnect the wire & then loosen & remove the whole drain plug adapter with the sensor still installed. Unfortunately I just changed the oil in the bike. I tried to pull the old drain plug & swap in the new one without making a big mess. No go. I either need to wait until my next oil change, or change my oil again.

This sensor could also be used with the Vapor gauge, but you would then lose the Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) gauge. The Vapor unit monitors ambient temperature plus one engine temperature, whether it be CHT, Coolant Temp or Oil Temp.

I'll let you all know the correct part numbers & any other details as soon as I learn something more on Monday.

J.

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:22:19 pm »
That's a good idea, I would buy  this kit if it came with an analog gage, Just a personal preference.
Extending the wires shouldn't be too much trouble, a little solder & shrink tubing will do the trick!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:11 am »
I talked to Trail Tech & they are sending out a 2' extension cord. If you decide to run this oil temperature gauge, see if you can custom order the sending unit line length & quick disconnect location. You need approximately 48" to go from the drain plug, up the down-tube & to the top triple clamp. I would also ask to have the disconnect somewhere in the 6-8" range away from the sending unit vs. located at the top near the gauge. This will allow for easier oil changes. Just disconnect & spin out the plug with a wrench.

J.