Author Topic: New horn  (Read 9500 times)

Lefty

New horn
« on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:57 pm »
When I first got my FT the horn was not working, so I got a used OEM replacement from Ebay. It worked great for 2-3 years, then 2 weeks ago started sounding weak, so I bought a replacement claiming to be "very loud". The day before it arrived, the one on the bike started working again.
Today I mounted the new horn, and it sounds very weak. When I thought about it, maybe the power the Ft puts out to the horn might not be sufficient to make it as loud as it should be.
 It made me think of the thread where J6 was talking about the LED liscense plate surround with blinkers & brake light that needed the newer flasher unit to make the lights work correctly.
I'm thinking the stator output is not enough to power a newer horn.
If I had my manual handy, I'd look it up- it's in storage so I cant access it.
Can anyone tell me what amperage(I think) the OE horn is rated?

frappy

Re: New horn
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:25 pm »
My Factory Service Manual doesn't list specs on the horn and I have yet to pick up the Owners Manual from the PO.  Don't these horns have some sort of manual adjustment set screw and lock nut like old horns used to have to change output pitch?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:25:56 pm »
See if there is a screw in the center of the horn & carefully experiment with tightening it up, then try the horn.

Sometimes that works.

J.

Luke

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:00:20 pm »
I thought that might be what that screw was for ... mine is at the rear of the horn though.
1984 VT500FT - WIP

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »
There is a scree on the back of it, so I adjusted it & it's pretty loud now,but really high pitched.
For now it serves it's purpose, but I'm going to keep looking for something better.