Author Topic: Finish type  (Read 10371 times)

Luke

Finish type
« on: September 25, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »
Hey Guys... n Gals :)

Quick question about the original finish on a couple parts...

The kick stand, mine looks to have been repainted, was it originally a satin or glossy finish?

The other part is the plastic front cowl or fairing that covers the horn. Mine is faded and chalky so it's hard to tell how it was originally. I realize it was unpainted but is it a satin finish or polished shiny?

Thanks in advance,
1984 VT500FT - WIP

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Finish type
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:52 am »
The kickstand would most likely be the same color as the frame. Can you tell if the frame is a gloss or semi-gloss finish.

That plastic cover is held on with one screw at the bottom & the rest just snaps into place. You can remove it to see what the inside looks like. Are you familiar with a product called "303"? http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30350-Aerospace-Protectant/dp/B000XBCURW It is somewhat like Armor-All, but much superior. I would try some 303 on that cover. That should bring back some of the color & protect it from fading further.

Good luck
J.

Luke

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 02:48:39 pm »
Yes the frame is very glossy, I just noticed quite a few satin black parts so I wanted to be sure.

I will check that 303 out for other uses, but the fairing had too many chips and gouges to just treat it.

Thanks again J
1984 VT500FT - WIP

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 04:30:12 pm »
I have a replacement one if you're interested.

Unfortunately it is faded also, but I think its all there & not scratched up. I think they all looked a bit faded even when new. I had a black VT in '87 or '88 & the cover on that bike didn't match anything else. If you're interested in the cover, please shoot me a PM.

Thanks
J.

Bucko

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:24:07 pm »
I've tried various things, including the usual suspects, but have had little luck at getting the black colour back.  I've put so many chemicals on there at this point, I don't think even paint is a viable option.  I wonder if putting the cover in a zip lock bag with something (maybe the 303 suggested??) and leaving it over the winter would bring it back to life?

I've seen some faded plastic parts made to look like new again using a heat gun (basically melt - 'melt' is really too strong of a word -  a very thin outer layer to make it glossy again) but it's risky: if not done just right the heat will leave a blotchy finish, worse than it looked before, or even melt bits.  I have a broken spare cover around somewhere and I'm going to try the heat gun on it but haven't got around to it yet (just like all the other stuff I need to do that I haven't got around to yet  :o).

Luke

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:22:40 am »
I have tried the heat method as well ... works great on certain types of plastic. I actually used that method on the coolant overflow tank cover. Sanded with 400 grit and then the heat leveled the finish quite nicely. 90% of the cover came out perfect but it's hard to get complete consistency in the finish. One little area didn't melt like the rest ... can't stand for that.  ::)

I will do all the plastic to match once I decide on the final method ... looking at rubberized coatings. I has to be as thin as possible so the HONDA lettering doesn't get buried.

Thanks guys
1984 VT500FT - WIP