Author Topic: Lowered front end with stock gauges  (Read 8651 times)

2fast2young

Lowered front end with stock gauges
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:48:57 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a way to drop the front end (raise the forks in the trees) without it bumping the high beam/OD light box? I kinda love the OD light, I don't want to get rid of it!

The steering needs to be a bit quicker for my tastes. I think 1"-1.25" above the top clamp would make it handle very sweetly.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Elliot

Bucko

Re: Lowered front end with stock gauges
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:30:26 am »
IIRC, there are spacers in the forks; you could simply cut the spacers down.  Better ensure the front wheel/fender doesn't hit the rad when the forks are fully compressed though.  You could also go with a lower profile front tire (if available in the Ascot front wheel size) which would have a 'lowering the front' effect without changing the suspension.

2fast2young

Re: Lowered front end with stock gauges
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:10:26 pm »
Thanks for the reply Bucko. I'm planning on rebuilding the forks over winter, so I will check it out while I'm in there. If that is an option, that has a side benefit of stiffening the fork somewhat, as you will have more overlap between the fork leg and the slider. ;D

I see a lot of Ascots online running at least the amount of drop I want without any problem, so I should be ok clearance wise. I'm debating going with stiffer springs as well, if that happens it will definitely be a non issue.